GTiR Sprint Series - getting ideas

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
GTiR Sprint Series

I’ve been looking into having our very own GTiR Sprint Series some time in the near future.

At the moment it’s all notes and ideas (wasn’t looking at posting till next year). I’m looking around on other sites, seeing what others are doing, how they organise themselves and what venues are/have been used.

Quite simply I think a few rounds spread around the UK, with rules set out, some timing gear, marker cones and maybe a few awards will do the trick.

I’m not looking to go ott with this, but I want the event to be cost effective rather than cheap. In my experience cheap normally means crap, so I want to avoid that if possible.

I’ll need help with this with out doubt, for locations, timing equipment, ideas and resources to make the event successful. So get those ideas coming in.

Cost is always an issue I have been taking this into account. Rental costs for certain event locations are not cheap and we also have look at covering ourselves with event insurance.

My main concern is competitor numbers. We do need quite a few people to make this financially viable for each round not just from our point of view as organisers but as you the competitors.

It might be worth just doing once or two rounds to start off and build up the series that way?

Add your comments to this, any ideas, locations to use etc etc

Let me know what you think and lets look at sorting something out.

Last edited:

eastwood

I would be interested but need to know costs to commit I will be putting my car togehter over December so I will be looking to do track days and alike although the car will still have full interior etc it will be just a toy for these kinda things. Will there be different classes? Road legal class / full race class or will it be one class quickest car on the day (which might put some off competing against some of the ultra light stripped out cars out there)

hkspulsar

Would be well up for this, well when the car is up and running again!!
I've got a mate that organises something very similar to this, not a specific manufacture or anything like, but I will have a chat to him and see how they go about it.
How would you look at doing the timing to keep them fair, split in to sections regarding car specification, or there is another way I have heard which takes into account car specification, and track day experience and sprint events attended. From what I hear its meant to be fair and keeps things interesting. Similar to a handicap, the more you do the quicker you get, the lower your handicap becomes. Keeps it challenging.
Will let you know when I find out any more info
Great idea though!!

Tim

I think limiting it to a couple or 3 events spread across spring and summer is a good starting place..

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
I like this idea. But you'll need to limit the number of events per year and also work out a deal with a travel lodge or somewhere like that, so that you can obtain a cheap rate for accommodation at all the tracks.

Once you have gained some interest it maybe worth looking into some rules and extra safety regulations..

I notice that the others are broken up into classes but I'm not sure i would worry about that just yet. I'd focus more on getting people signed up..

stumo

One problem ii can see that there's going to be a few cars, all with very different specs.

Unless everyone is prepared to change the spec of their car you're going to have problems.

If my car was running i'd be interested in doing something.

I don't think spec will be an issue. As long as everyone excepts that the cars are not all equal. Its just a bit of fun after all not a one make production class race. It could be quite interesting to see what a more experienced driver in a lesser spec car would do compared to a complete novice in a decent car (like me). The only thing I think should be a rule is the cars have to be road legal with tax and test.

I personally wouldn't mind having a go at a round or two.

Tk1

why not just attend msa sprints and have a gtir championship on the side,
£35 a year for nat b licence and join a msa affiliated club around £15/£20 a year
all the hard work is done , no stresses about money collecting / not geting the numbers.
ok there will be less runs but will also be other marques to compete against for a pot on the day
or add a couple of quid to the entry fees and have gtir only class pots to win
in road going class here's no need for rollcage just tax/mot/insurance fireproof suit and a decent lid

just an idea

vss irvine

i think more people would be interested if it was just a club event to start with?

i know i would make the effort if it was a bit more relaxed, rather than competing against serious sprint machinery?

stumo

Yup, even if it's not broken it gets fixed :lol::lol::lol:

I just love tinkering with stuff

olliecast

I just love tinkering with myself
:roll::?

I`m well up for the idea of this sprint series.
In terms of timing, theres a few solutions we could do.

If you`ve posted and are seriously interested, it`d be useful to post where your from and rough bhp / spec?

I`m:
~300bhp, in notts.

You agree andy?

Cheers,
ollie

dencon

Please correct me if I am wrong,but I believe you need MSA approval of track to be able to run sprints,or hillclimbs. Like Tk1 says I think it is better to join a club that organises sprints in your travelling range. Insurance is included in your entry fee. As there is no money in prizes it does not matter if you come first or last, as long as you have a really good day. There is A4 class for road going cars and C4 class for fully modified cars.cheers den.