Gtir Hesitating over 3000rpm. Please Help!

A

Anonymous

hey guys,
i had a look at a gtir yesterday and when i took it for a drive, it hesitated badly. I noticed that it did this when it got to around 3000rpm.
However, it did continue to rev out, but he had to force it.

He said it was the fuel filter, but we bought another, and put it on, and it did not make a difference.

I really liked this car, but this problem has troubled me.
Is it easy to fix???

Please let me know of your experiences or suggestions of what it might be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

G

GazTi-R

I had this syptom when I first bought mine, it was water in No. 1 spark plug hole. Could be 101 other things though.

M

memski

Could be an ignition related problem, usually leads, possible spark plugs :?

A

Anonymous

gtir troubles

The guy said he recently replaced the spark plugs and leads, so i don't think it can be that?

I'll have to check out the spark plugs.

It's wierd, as soon as it hits around 3000rpm, it hesitates and is really holding back.

Do you guys have any other ideas of what it could be?

T

Tart

Check out the MAF sensor wiring (simple). This is what happens when the MAF sensor is knackered or disconnecting when the turbo kicks. As you look at the front of the car (obviously wiv da bonnet up) look under the intercooler slightly to the right from centre and you will see a big hose going from the bottom of the rad to to this point on the block. Right in front of that is a few wiring blocks. I believe one of these is the MAF sensor wiring. Check its all in tight...

I had this prob on mine and the wiring block was slightly loose, one hard click into place and it was goodbye sadness, hello full 1.2bar boosting :) :)

dal.a

3000revs

Id try spark plugs mine done the same and the plugs were 2 weeks old changed them and all was good

T

Tart

Thanks Kyepan, now why did I know ud appreciate that........ has it helped you yet???? :shock: HA HA

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice guys, i'll check them out.

hey 'tart'.

What were the symptoms of your gtir???

This ones got the standard t28, so i'm guessing they spool up at around 3000rpm on the gtir??

The car seems ok to this point, but as soon as it hits 3000prm, it hesitates, and if you keep the foot all the way down, the revs slowly increases throughout the rev range.

Is this the same problem you had???

Does anyone know if it could be anything else???

Let me know.
Going back to have a look again in the next couple of days.

Thanks
Mick

T

Tart

Mick,

Yep same probs.... The stnd turbo (which is wot Im running) spins up at around 3k normally...... so thats why I wud suggest possibly the MAF sensor. Ive come across this problem on several other R's and this seems to be a common prob as its only usually on turbo spin up....

Check it out, hope it helps. I believe you can do a fault code check to see if the MAF sensor is faulty (but check the connections first as I already suggested). For info on the fault code check look at the sticky notes in this section of the forum.

Let me know how it goes, M@

A

Anonymous

gtir probs

Thanks for the quick reply.

Do you have any photos of this MAF sensor wiring?????
Just so i know where to look at when i check it out??

I am new to this.
What is invovled in a fault code check??? Do you need special tools??

Thanks for your help.

Mick

A

Anonymous

gtir troubles

hey fast guy, thanks for that.
Do you know of any other codes???

Just those listed on the thread??
eg/
11 Crank Angle Sensor circuit
12 AFM circuit
13 Engine temp sensor circuit
21 Ignition signal circuit
34 Detonation sensor circuit
43 Throttle sensor circuit
55 No malfunction in the above circuits

Also, does anyone know of anything i should look out for in buying a gtir??? Apart from the info from "gtiroc.com"??
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have heard to stay away from gtir's from hong kong due rust problems??
Can anyone confirm this??

Thanks

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
That's all the codes in the manual.
Check to make sure all your boost hoses are secure. If you have a boost leak, it will over fuel, which in turn will make it hold back as it's trying to flood it.

T

Tart

Good old trusty paperclip, never leave home wivout it....

If you want a photo of the wiring block which caused my trouble let me know and I'll take a pic of it and post it.......

Good luck, its not much fun when its not boosting properly....

A

Anonymous

Hey tart, if you could take a phot of the wiring block, that would be really helpful.

I hope it's something simple???
Have you heard of anyone having the same troubles, and it ended up being something major??

Also,
have you heard anything about the gtir's imported from Hong Kong?
I have heard that they are prone to rust due to the salt water put on the roads in hong kong, to remove the snow??

I have heard to stay away from these ones???
Can you confirm this??

Also, i noticed the power steering was leaking and the power steering fluid resevoir was empty. Anyone had this problem?? What was it worth to fix???

Thanks
Mick

T

Tart

yeah a little bit.......... she's runnin a lil bit lean at the mo but after the retuning shes gonna b gettin that will all be sorted (bein a little bit careful til then). Also for some unknown reason, my R still has a cat which is going as soon as I find my angle grinder!!! :D

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
purpleturbo said:
Also, i noticed the power steering was leaking and the power steering fluid resevoir was empty. Anyone had this problem?? What was it worth to fix???

Thanks
Mick
If it's the pump going, (mine leaked out of the pulley shaft when it gave in) about £400 for a new pump. You can get overhaul kits if you catch it early enough. find out where it's leaking from. It could be just a hose, if so it'll be cheap to sort.

A

Anonymous

gtir power steering

hey
from memory, (looking from the front of the car), i found a leak near the top left hand corner of the engine bay. I think it was near the hoses.

Does this help. Have you had experience or know of anyone with this problem???

Thanks
Mick