gtir crank issues

luke s

From a bit of reading how come it seams that a lot of gtir suffer from a spun bearing , does the sump need modifying to keep more oil in there or are the problems down to flow? I don't see so many issues when the Sr20det is in the 200sx?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
The 200SX has a different version of the SR20. - The 54C variant is unique to this car.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I don't know "a lot" of people with spun bearings...if any.

It's not a topic I see on the forum very often, and the sump is is reasonably well baffled as standard.

I run slicks on track and not seen any pressure or pick up issues?

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
The sump being pushed up causes most of the crank bearing issues and once they have done it 9/10 times they are not repaired properly , there are quite a few people who run 450bhp and up wards on ground cranks with no issue. The oil pumps are up to the job in hand and are actually the largest off the sr20 series.

luke s

Just read through a few posts and I picked up that there seams too be an issue in some cases where a big end issue has come up so didn't know if there could be a cause to it that's all

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
The bottom end is pretty strong on our cars like Andy says, very rare to get a failure. There was some discussion many years ago when the odd one was happening relating to people running 60W oil which is too thick causing bearings to spin. There could be some truth in that still.

I expect most are caused by abuse (thrashing engine from cold etc) from years of youthful owners or poorer maintenance as it's only an "old" car.

Just build it properly and it will give you many happy years of motoring as Nissan designed it.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
The sump being pushed up causes most of the crank bearing issues
This rings a bell!

A dented sump can cause the pick-up to get blocked, and then there's no oil going to the cams either?

It wasn't that long ago that I took my sump off to hammer out the various knocks it had taken over the years and to replace the gasket (which was leaking a touch).

Not much to add to this but my crank has been re-ground and seems to be okay but i'll let everyone know if it shits itself!

shroom

Well if you search on the forum you will probably drag up many old posts from many many years ago lol, people kill these cars its not really a common failure.

luke s

Ok cheers guys wasn't trying to go silly on this just to help others and me if there is oil gallery's that get grimed up or something silly that's all but it can happen I know

Dangerous Dave

I'll put my little bit to this aswel, I think it's down to the driver not been able to drive the car properly as in driving it like a N/A car. Smashing it down a gear to gain that little extra go when over taking ( when you don't need to with a tubby is stuck to the engine)

bad maintenance is another good one how many kids bought these cars? Then found out they couldn't afford to repair/maintain them.

Watch mine spit it's dummy out now