GTI-R Throttle Body Re-Build

P

P10margo

I have some TB's that i want to strip and rebuild. What is required to do that?

Moved to maintenance

G

GartracS2

Why? are they worn or do you want to bead blast them etc and make them look pretty. There isnt much to strip theyre very straight forward. When you assemble them back on to the car gis a shout and I will explain how to adjust the throttle linkages etc. Make sure you mark the butterflys before you take them off as they can go back on to the spindle either way around but they wont close correctly and you will never get a low idle. Dont clean or scrathc the butterflys as they are resin coated, they look just brass but they arent take my word on that one. If they have carbon on the outside just use a soft piece of ally or brass, copper etc to avoid scoring the faces.

Good luck if you need any help PM me and I will give you my tel number.

:wink:

P

P10margo

i'm fitting the head and throttle bodies to my primera, and want to make sure they are in good working order before i put it on (to save time later)

would carb cleaner be ok on the 'brass' butterflys?

G

GartracS2

No absolutely not it will take off the coating just use a screw driver on the outside edges of the flys to make sue the carbons deposits are gone. at the end of the day no one is going to see dirty sooty flys and after 1000 or so miles they will be black again anyhow. I actually work for Nissan and was thinking of the DET TB`s fitting to the DE engine in my 1.4 sunny using a GTI as a donor car. Please let me know how you get on because im very keen to do this mod myself.
One question? how are you going to get over the MAF problem? If you have open air TB`s you have no way of metering the air. I was thinking of using Emerald M3DK management and using a 1.5 Bar map sensor so I could junk the MAF and have trumpets on the TB`s, to look trick and also sound 8)

Cant wait to see it done. Does the DE heads inlet ports match up to the shape of the DET TB manifold shape?

sypher

if you are wanting to use a open trumpets ie; an aspirated engine you only require a 1bar map sensor, as you will obviously not get anything other than 1bar of atmospheric pressure into the engine..

use a cleaning solution from your local motor factors and a brush