GTI-R engine rebuild

A

Anonymous

hi, newbie here, :) I am looking at buying a GTI-R with a mullered engine, can someone give me a good idea of how much a rebuild is going to cost doing the work myself?? How much is a secondhand head etc, a set of pistons and all the gaskets and bearings going to set me back do you recon?? cheers in advance 8)

Moved to regular maintenance

O

Odin

Well I have a spare head for sale and that would set you back £250 :wink: .

As for the rest I'm getting mine done at the moment and it's costing £1500 ish for machineing and assembly.

But a full gasket set is about £200 oil pump £280 water pump £45 new steel head gasket £200 cheaper if you get it from mattey though :wink: .

you can get piston's for about £400 from Mrgtir on the forum.

you'ed prob have to allow £200 ish for bearing I'd of though, New head bolts are £50 from nissan but I'v got a head stud kit that came in at £165 deliverd.

hope this helps fella

rob

A

Anonymous

£280 for an oil pump :eek: :? thats bad!!! but overall not too bad then 8) how difficult are the engines to build, any spec tools etc needed?

O

Odin

RWD_cossie_wil said:
£280 for an oil pump :eek: :? thats bad!!! but overall not too bad then 8) how difficult are the engines to build, any spec tools etc needed?
I think the most important tool is a ring land file just ask Paul :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

I don't think there any more dif to build than any other motor but I'm not an expert that's why I'm getting it done by someone that does :wink: .

And my advice to you is if you only think you know what you doing DON'T DO IT YOURSELF, As the R has a way of biteing you in the ar5e if you cut corner's, JUST ASK PAUL ABOUT THAT TOO :lol: .

rob

A

Anonymous

as in piston ring land file? I take it they have a habit of eating/picking up rings then? :cry: I am by no means an expert but I have built loads of engines, cossies, rs turbos and a few BMW and mini engines, just wondering if there is any horrible special tool only jobs on them?

O

Odin

RWD_cossie_wil said:
as in piston ring land file? I take it they have a habit of eating/picking up rings then? :cry: I am by no means an expert but I have built loads of engines, cossies, rs turbos and a few BMW and mini engines, just wondering if there is any horrible special tool only jobs on them?
Sorry mate the file was just a little dig a Paul, A private joke :lol: .

rob

Mr GTiR

vpulsar said:
And my advice to you is if you only think you know what you doing DON'T DO IT YOURSELF, As the R has a way of biteing you in the ar5e if you cut corner's, JUST ASK PAUL ABOUT THAT TOO :lol: .
i can vouch for that as i'm on my second engine / rebuild :cry:

yep 87mm forged pistons = £400
metal head gaskets = £100 (pm me for details :wink:)
get some ARP rod bolts = £55
engine gasket set is £150 from Nissan
If you just want the oil pump gears then that's about £88 and £400 if you want the full assembly.

On a rebuild it's not the cost of the pistons or head gaskets, it's the cost of ALL the other parts that are used 'while the engine is open' :shock:

Like Rob has said there is nothing specail about the SR20DET, it's just another engine :wink:

A

Anonymous

ok lol! cheers for the info anyone good some good contacts for getting the bits and is there a manual detailing torque settings for all the engine bolts etc? 8)

O

Odin

RWD_cossie_wil said:
ok lol! cheers for the info anyone good some good contacts for getting the bits and is there a manual detailing torque settings for all the engine bolts etc? 8)
You can order a workshop manual off steve pudney on disc :wink: , As for piston's and head gasket you will be doing well to beat andy's prices (mrgtir).

Rob

Mr GTiR

vpulsar said:
You can order a workshop manual off steve pudney on disc :wink: , As for piston's and head gasket you will be doing well to beat andy's prices (mrgtir).

Rob
don't forget he's not the only person selling service manuals :wink: :p :D

skiddusmarkus

Best bit of advice I can give is get all the parts ordered way in advance of starting the job and if you are planning on fitting new cams then prepare for a wait on the shims.It will knock months off the build time if you keep the standard cams/head doesn't need reshimming as I think Nissan start with a 1 ton lump of steel and whittle it down with a nail file until they have a shiny new shim the amount of time they take to come(mine took 4 months).