gt2871r

EVOBAD

a strd gtir turbo is good for 330bhp,and the gt2871 is ok for 400bhp after that i would go for the gt30,i would be aware of any turbo on ebay there not the best units,yes ther cheaper but wont last long

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
The advantage of the unit from an s15 is simply that it has a ball-bearing core; it's actually a slightly smaller turbo isn't it? I'm no expert, but I'm sure it has a different trim housing on it.

sharpygti

the one from ebay is a geniune garrett dealer and it looks alot bigger internal than the gtir turbo. theres a link to it and the top

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Yeah, so it's a 76mm trim with a 0.64 A/R whereas the standard S15 one is a 60mm trim (and the GTi-R one 79mm 0.86 A/R).
It's a direct, bolt-on, replacement just like any T28 frame is... but it's not the standard S15 one.

I could make some comment about comparing the compressor maps, but the truth is that I don't understand them well enough to make an informed comment. The best I can do is guestimate what the optimum boost is, and at what RPM it makes it.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Better is a relative term. - Will it spool faster than a standard journal bearing T28, yes.
Will it give a higher peak boost, I don't think so (but like I said, I don't know if I'm reading the compressor maps correctly).

It's probably better than a standard turbo just because of the ball bearing core giving you a faster spool... whether it's optimum I don't know. - I think you need someone who knows their turbos to post. I'm out of my depth now.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Thanks Danny - that confirms what I thought (that it's not a standard Silvia one even though it has a ball bearing core)... so is it the sweet spot of turbine and compressor for that frame size?