Got a real strange noise!

D

damien4uuk

I noticed the otherday that when i was booting my r it sounds like somthing is blocking the exhaust and making it sound horrible, Is it posible that i may of done damage to my valves? the reason i ask is not so long ago my turbo ate itself and put metal bits it the intercooler. Its never been quite right since! its suffering from a bit of power loss aswell. Please help its fudging my brain. :(

O

oddbodd

take it to a pro like dp, hi teq, norris, any place really seems like it needs some tlc sorry

J

jiw

buy a compression tester from halfords and check it over, you may of damaged a valve seat :?

D

damien4uuk

I already done a comp test, Results were give or take a few psi about 145 psi on each cylinder. I just seems to be a bit slugish and jittery with a horrible raspy noise (not a nice rasp either).

D

damien4uuk

Sorry forgot too add for some reason the lights on the dash and also the rear lights arnt working, i checked the fuse but no joy.

J

jiw

do you still have a cat on the car? if so this could be blocked or possibly breaking down inside

D

damien4uuk

Got full s/s with decat, I get a wiff of petrol every now and the aswell, but i checked for fuel leaks and there arnt any, So yet again im stumped :?

D

damien4uuk

ive checked all nuts on turbo and exhaust and all are tight. fault code is 55 so all is clear. acording to the ecu anyway!.
ive got anougther clue that might help, it struggles like hell to go over 4-5000 rpm really sounds like in screaming the nuts of it. im keeping my fingers crossed that one of you can help.

J

jpward

Whats the blower like any play/smoke?

What does your oil pressure guage say when you rev up?

D

damien4uuk

Turbo is newish, And oil pressure seems ok, although there seems to be loads of condensation in exhaust and takes a while to clear. (i asume this is quite normal)

J

jpward

Your probably pulling your hair out by now but one more thing to try,
It happened on mine a few times and was easy fix ok look down under the ic to the dizzy cap and with a helpfull assistant raise the revs steadly the coil lead ie the short one on mine was brand new! but nun the less was managing to earth on the ic support bracket you should be able to see a small spark, so if this is happening just put a bit of sparks tape on the end of the boots where the lead goes into them then refit.

Worth a try :roll:

D

damien4uuk

I pulled all the plugs and they all seem fine. Tried with the coil lead and that seems fine too. when there is no load it revs right up its only when its underload that it starts to strugle.

J

jpward

I blew no 3 piston in an old engine and well i hate to say it but thats what she was like drivable but lucky if you got her into 4th my shells were rather blued too so you need to get a mech to maybe have a peek mate.

:? :?

D

damien4uuk

If thats what has happend. would is show when i done a compression test? because the results seemed ok. To give you an idea of how its running, i raced my friend he has a 1.6 astra, My r was struggling to keep up. :( , Thing is my turbo spools up fine, i dont know why but have a feeling its somthing to do with fueling.