Got a knocking noise please help

D

DaOne

hi I have a 1992 gtir, that has started a knocking noise, that speeds up with the reves.

It sounds like it is coming from where the pullys are on the left hand side of the engine.

any ideas what it could be, and how i could go about checking what it is.

it is a loud ish noise, that you can hear well inside the cabbin over the sound of the engine and exhaust

thanks Ian

azboy

If u can hear it when the car is not moving just with the engine reving up it will be comming from ur engine its unlikely comming from the belts or pullys but if u remove the belts 1 at a time and then start up the engine if the noise is still there then u know its not any of the auxilerys ie altinator power steering pump and water pump if it gets louder when under load its more likely ur big end bearings if it just gets faster and not louder as u rev it it might be worth removing ur rocker cove and having a good look that everythings ok and give the engine a spin on the key (with coil diconnected) and make sure the cams loubs are getting a good supply of oil.

D

DaOne

think it is the power stearing pump, as i topted it up last week when i got the car as it woz low (only just had it over a week now).

re looked earlyer and it was very low again, it makes the noise when the car is running, so i know its not the joints etc.

but when i put it on full lock when on drive way the noise stopted.

when to the shop and got some more fluid filled it up, and the noise is still there but abit quiter, but it makes the noise on full lock now, where it stopted before.

so i am thinking that the power stearing pump is on its way out

what do you lot think?

azboy

like i said take the belt off (power steering) then u are bypassing it, if the noise goes away u know its that it will make a whining noise if the fluid level is low when its toped up it should be silent and then look for the leaks as thats why the pump probably would have gone in the first place through running dry, but ive never heard a pump make a knocking noise before they just whine.

A

alfyboy

check your engine mount that sits next to the pullies,
Get someone to rev it and watch how much the mount moves, there shouldnt be that much movement.
I had the same fault on mine, the bush wears out and the metal insert in the centre of the bush knocks,

cheers Alfy :D