good afrs

mattytappy

hi guys im running 1.2 bar on a mines ecu...what sort of air fuel ratios should i be seeing as a healthy mix or should i just be aiming for stioch or can i run it a bit leaner???:roll:

Fusion Ed

1.2 bar you want to be running 12.5:1 or richer. If you goto stoich (14.7:1) or leaner youll melt it.

mattytappy

hi edd ive got a front mount and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and some heat range 8 hks plugs.... whats the best way to achieve this do i aimfor stoich and then adjust fueling on the regulator or do i retard the igniton a few degrees...or ive bee thinking of maybe fitting water injection to drop intake temps....how far lean can i take it with water injection?

neil240z

Ed knows his stuff on mapping and fuel ratios. water injection would be on my list having a TMIC but if you have a front mount you prob wont need it unless your running a high spec car i.e fully forged engine GT30R and 2.2 bar, then you need to cool the charge temps more!

Neil

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Best way.... some sort of fuel control maybe? :lol:

How are you measuring your AFR before you start melting your engine by playing with your timing and fuel pressure :?

mattytappy

:lol: :lol: yeh i know its good aint it:lol: :lol: ...want an excuse to pull it apart anyhow....so why not se what she can take....anyway how can i get it wrong with all you guys good, solid, sound, relaible advice....:shock: its what i pay my membership fees for;-) ...anyway you dont learn if you dont try.....thats how i found my misses loves it up the poooper:lol: :lol:

mattytappy

ive got an safc thats in place just not dialed in yet and an aem wideband afr monitoron its way? was thinking of getting a z32 and some bigger injectors say 550 as i have a roller bearing tubby to go on as well as the group buy elbow and down pipe with decat....im also controlling the boost with a profec b and ive done a boost check and as far as i can hear its not leaking at 1.2 bar....compresion is 150 across all 4 and just changed the usual oil,filters,leads,cap,arm...and instaled a 16row front oil cooler to keep temps down...the mines has really improved the car but want to try and get more?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I like your humour Matty but what Stu says.

If you are serious then leave your FPR alone, buy an AFC and only make small changes at a time.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
mattytappy said:
ive got an safc thats in place just not dialed in yet and an aem wideband afr monitoron its way?
I thought, are you winding us up about the FPR and timing :doh: :lol: :lol:

You're a quick learner

neil240z

its only a matter of time before one of the ring lands goes (probably not long at 1.2) save your pennies and buy something in place for when it does, forged pistons, z32, e-manage and 555s you can pic that lot up for around £750 then when your engine starts smoking on boost you know its rebuild time, flog your old turbo to go towards uprated bolts/studs, new timing chain and bearings!

Im sure Odin will come over and give you a hand with it......;-)

mattytappy

;-) no im actually dumber than i look.....thats why i bought a pulsar......ive seen a few people saying that ive run 1.5 bar on standard internals :flypig:....:lalala:all day long for 2 years....and 1 i wanna see what i can do 2 with the right cooling why shouldnt standard pistons take 380...400...ish bhp?.......?i would love odin to come round...but only if he had his wife permision and he had done all the laundry that day....as we know who wears the trousers in that house.....and it AINT ODIN

Last edited:

neil240z

wow 1.5!, some going that is!

fuel does have a lot to do with it and charge tempreatures also but im fairly sure its more to do with the fact that the stock pistons are made from a fairly weak cast metal and the higher boost pressure causes more stress on the ring lands.

i may be wrong though.

Neil

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Get your AEM guage then and see where you're at. Chances are you won't be at 12.0-12.5 AFR so tweaking that will give some power. If its an AFC 2 you can monitor knock so could tweak your timing a few degress too. A car running right at 1.2Bar will be far better than a car at 1.5Bar with an AFR of 10.0 and retarded timing.

Edit: following on from Neil is saying, these are 15 year old cars and at this age even rubbishy old 1.2l engine can have a sudden failure. More boost equals less life

Last edited:

mattytappy

im not gunna argue with you fella......by all means your probably right...im just a novice having a go...and trying not o pay through the nose....but thanks for the advice it is appreciated...besides which i just love the grief:lol: :lol: ....and a challenge.....and it keeps me out of trouble.....there is worse vices out there......and my wife is one of them....;-) :hippo:

mattytappy

thanks campellju....good advice....cheers....will give it ago once ive put in the afr monitor and see what its reading on 1 bar then on 1.2....and try and get it dailed in....but ive got to get the safc set properly first as it was badley overfueling.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We all had to start somewhere, there's people on here who can help but whatever you do make small changes,write things down, double check what you've done before you test drive and then see what affect it has....repeat

Fusion Ed

This may help explain things better, Stock fuel map from pulsar, with approx fuel ratios used in each cell:

The light blue cells are closed loop area. The ecu uses the feedback from the O2 sensor to maintain economy here. If you try and alter this part of the map with an external fuel controller, be that a SAFC etc, and you leave the O2 sensor connected the ECU will remove what ever changes you make and be working against you. You wouldn't want to do this anyway.

Now one thing you need to know the RPM is obviously on the left hand scale. The top scale is load, it basically represents airflow. A stock pulsar at 1.2 bar will go off the end of the load axis, and also the airflow meter and injectors will all be on their limits (or VERY close). This is the case even with a Mines ECU (the injectors and afm anyway) I have not yet downloaded a map from a mines ECU, so I don't know if the load axis is rescaled or not. (Its only a matter of time before I get my hands on one however). Its not an ideal position to be in, but reality is it may be ok, its when you go beyond this that you'll begin to get fuel leaning out, as the injectors are already maxed out etc..

When you use a piggy back ecu to change injectors sizes (except e-manage ultimate) they do so by altering the airflow voltage. Now this is all very well, and it can work well, however you can see if it alters it too much, you may not get far enough across the load map to get the right AFRs for the particular engine load. This is when you will need to make corrections. This is even more so important when you consider the ignition map. When the turbo begins to generate boost you pull a significant amount of timing out. If you alter the load points then this can change, if your not aware what is going on or how to check this you may find you run too much ignition advance and combined with altered fuel and other contributing factors you may even experience knock.

Anyway, hopefully this will be of some interest to you.

Ed

neil240z

cheers for that Ed,

very interesting, what are the load cells measured in and is it possible to map the car to keep in green cells at high rpm or is it supposed to go in to the red?

its probably supposed to do that guessing, thats just a colour graph for numptys who only know green is safe and red isnt, instead of having a chart on a white background with just numbers that means nothing to most.

do modded Rs get remapped to this spec or do you run a higher fuel ratio? ( I dont mean do modded Rs run more fuel, thats obvious, the map i mean)............:)

cheers

Neil

Last edited: