Get yer thinkin caps on boys.

chrism

Heres my quandry.

I had a problem a couple of weeks back with a leak at my turbo/intercooler flange.The intercooler pipe was damaged and leaking out air.This was causing the car to run rich,but only on cylinder 3 and 4.The plugs were black.I then welded the IC pipe etc and got it sorted.I cleaned the plugs and re-gapped them.They were only slightly out by 0.05mm.I took the car for a wee test and it went great.

Tonight on the way to our weekly meet I noticed it wasn´t charging more than 1.15 bar whenit should have charged 1.3.It then started missing both under boost but mostly off.I decided to drive home to check it.On the way home the "check engine" light came on.When I got home and restarted it the light had gone out and there showed nothing when I did the paperclip test.I took out the plugs and all 4 were black as coal.

Any thoughts or ideas? I think the plugs are gone and not properly ignitiing the fuel but Im probably way out there.What should I check/replace/do?:?

chrism

The first leak was caused by the bracket having been snapped off,before I owned the car.Then the flange on the IC pipe had been previously damaged.The back bolt had gone off and a nut had been screwed on to the remainder of the bolt.It damaged the flange so I had to weld it up and drill a new hole.Now it seems tight.
So there were 2 leaks causing this.The second was what caused driving issues.

Ricky_GTi-R

When i got the turbo gasket changed all the IC stuff was off, and i inspected it all before the car was sold, the bracket was all correct and the IC flange that bolts to the turbo had the correct 3 nuts on it, i specifically checked the back one was tight as it was a bugger for them to do. The Flange bolting to the turbo also had a new gasket fitted at the same time, so have no idea how the flange managed to become damaged in the 1 day gap between me picking the car up from the mechanics and the car being collected by your old man.

chrism

Dont know either bud.But it definitely had the 2 front bolts on and the back was definitely a nut and the bolt was damaged.Its still lying in the garage.Never mind it just needs sorted now.Was it the turbo/exhaust gasket or turbo/IC gasket that need changed?Sounds like were talking about different gaskets.

My problem is defintely over fueling.I must have a problem with a leak somewhere.Im gonna check for leaks tomorrow.

Ricky_GTi-R

The back one should be a longer nut mate, blue if i remember correctly. i had the turbo/exhuast gasket replaced as it was goosed, also changed the turbo/ IC pipe gasket seeing as it was off.

The car ran perfectly when it was over here, no fuelling probs that were noticeable, no idea whats happended to it, maybe worth checking all hosses for splits etc.

chrism

I think its just a hose or something too.Gonna check the Ic hosesd the morn.Its been going great until the other week when it started missfiring.It´ll get sorted.

The back one was a nut that had been put on what was left of a bolt.Couldnt get it out so I had to drill it out.

D

deslynam

I don't really understand why the air leak would cause it to run rich on just 2 cylinders and not the others. Could the gaskets be slightly out of alignment and causing a restriction? I've seen that happen before...

chrism

I think thats what happened too.

Sorted the leak today.It was the same gasket at the turbo/IC.It was just needing tightened and cleaned.I cleaned the plugs very quickly and took it out for a spin.
No problems with misfiring etc but its still not boosting more than 1.2bar max.I can usually build up to 1.3 easily and hold it there under acceleration up to almost full revs.Dont know if Im just being sensitive!
What can be the possible cause of this?

stu-gtir

is your car smoking at all mate? i had a similar problem when my turbo was giving in. it was thowing oil onto the plugs.

chrism

Its smoking a good bit when I let off then accelerate again.It goes fine when cold but as it gets warmer it starts hesitating.

I check my emissions today and I pased the HC and CO levels but my lambda raeding was way off.Not sure if the 2 are related.Not sure what to do now.
Can a failing turbo give these symptoms:smoke;hesitation;unsmooth(?) revving at a few thousand revs in neutral gear,or is it maybe something electrical causing the hesitation?
Its maybe both.
Anyone?

Ricky_GTi-R

chrism said:
Its smoking a good bit when I let off then accelerate again.It goes fine when cold but as it gets warmer it starts hesitating.

I check my emissions today and I pased the HC and CO levels but my lambda raeding was way off.Not sure if the 2 are related.Not sure what to do now.
Can a failing turbo give these symptoms:smoke;hesitation;unsmooth(?) revving at a few thousand revs in neutral gear,or is it maybe something electrical causing the hesitation?
Its maybe both.
Anyone?
Chris what colour is the smoke bud? Blue smoke could indicate that the seals are away on the tubby mate. However if its a dark/black smoke, this usually means the car is running rich and way over fuelling.

chrism

Not sure if its blue but its definitely not dark.Its not water either as theres no water or gunge in the engine.I think that the seals have went too.But does this explain the "missing" that occurs?

chrism

Im going to dismantle the turbo over the next couple days.I think the seals are gone and the oil is getting on the sparkplug causing the misfiring.Once the engine gets warmer the oil gets thinner and more gets into the cylinder.
Does that make any sense?;-)

Or am I just talking out my röv?(****)