Geometry Setup

Tim

Will be fitting some coilovers in the coming weeks, so will want the car to be setup correctly once they are fitted, can anyone point me in the right direction of someone who knows how to set the GTiR up?

Ideally in the north, but don't mind traveling if needs be.

Cheers

Tim

PS. I don't want some franchise doing it because they can do 4 wheel alignment, it needs to be someone who knows the cars and what makes them tick ... so to speak.

olliecast

i`ve started doing mine myself mate. very satisfying when done.
You can add driver weight etc to further improve the accuracy of the setup.

Depends if you want to learn.

There a number of posts from campbellju describing alot to do with it

The other benefit is that you don`t have to pay 30 quid each time you want to change camber etc

Will be fitting some coilovers in the coming weeks, so will want the car to be setup correctly once they are fitted, can anyone point me in the right direction of someone who knows how to set the GTiR up?

Ideally in the north, but don't mind traveling if needs be.

Cheers

Tim

PS. I don't want some franchise doing it because they can do 4 wheel alignment, it needs to be someone who knows the cars and what makes them tick ... so to speak.

olliecast

i use a 45 quid camber gauge, some bar the same diameter as my wheel. A plumb line, brick layers string, 4 axle stands, a pile of old kitchen tiles and two levels.

First i put 80kg of my weights in the drivers seat (or alternative ballast)

The i`ll make the car level (my drive slopes down slightly) with the two levels and kitchen tiles under each wheel

Once its level can then check the camber and toe. I usually put a lttle grease inbetween each kitchen tile in order to allow the wheels to move properly when lowering down onto them.

I`ve got some pics and could do a how too if need be?

cheers,
ollie

nitrosgti-r

carl done mine at motoworx. Its bang on but it cost me 200 quid but he doesnt work there anymore but they do have the right gear to do it. Motoworx is in High wycombe.

Tim

Ollie that sounds proper blue peter, i love it!

If you have time by all means do a write up, how do you check that the car is level?

olliecast

Ollie that sounds proper blue peter, i love it!

If you have time by all means do a write up, how do you check that the car is level?
lol, i`ll show you in the pics matey. i use the levels in between the kitchen tiles if you get me

Tim

I was going over how you'd do it on my way home from work and i came up with laying a piece of wood on the tiles and popping a spirit level on it.

olliecast

yeah you can use that or a straight piece of metal. I used 2 blocks of metal, the same height in the end as my drive is that unlevel that the levels touched the edges of the tiles before the points at the centre of the wheels.

where abouts are you?

ollie

olliecast

yeah i have mate somewhere, ill dig it out for you if want to see it?
yeah be good to compare setups to be honest.

Camber on our cars is restricted unless you want to do the camber castor mod but be intersting to see what has suited everyone the best.

for example, i`m trying out different levels of camber for sprint use but my optimum setup for sprinting is rubbish on the roads. Be good to get the "best of" and try and find a compromise for people who like to fiddle with geometery.

cheers,
ollie

p.s. tim, i`m happy to help you with yours if you want?

bracpan

As most things in life the best people to get advice off are the ones that actually put there idea's into action and actually do it not just read it from a text book... going by the book is all well and good, but if that was the case all F1 cars would be the same!!! and as we can see with Brawn this year they are not.....the other thing is we all drive different what suits one does not suit the other.
My advice would be go with the full Whitline kit and settings..drive it then see if you can improve on it,,,on the road I doubt it,,,on the track thats another story all together and that takes track time, lots of track time.
Good luck
Phil
PS Ollie some nice tips on setting up and equipment. camber/caster gauges are always a good idea if you alter settings, I also have a local garage with Lazer tracking to do the final adjustment.

Last edited:

Tim

Umm brawn are using Ross' years of experience with Ferrari to their game, they certainly aren't breaking any moulds.

But back on topic, i'm going to see how the standard car handles on coilovers out on track, and then try and address it's problems from there, i see little point at throwing money at a cars handling without seeing where it can be improved first.