General Question

Chris1

When I first started to get into GTi-R's, it was common knowledge that when running a car with std internals, the maximum boost pressure you could run safely was 1bar.
I see a lot of cars for sale today running more than that with about 320-340bhp under their belts on std pistons.
Are these figures just down to spot on fueling and upgraded intercoolers keeping the intake temp down? Or is the Pulsars lump not quite as fragile as I was made to believe all those years ago?

Smo

A friend of mine ran a standard car, including turbo (except FMIC, fuel pump, filter and exhaust) at 1.3bar for 2 years with no problems. It was in the region of 330bhp.

red reading

I've seen a standard (2nd hand 100000mile+) 200sx sr20det run at 500+bhp and it lasted a fair while .. in a drift car. and that is a weaker version of the pulsar engine.ask mark says 350-400 should last a fair while

streetcredgtir

I plan to run mine at around 330bhp on stock internals with Fmic, fuel pump, filter and exhaust , maybe more once i add more bolt ons

Chris1

Thanks for putting me straight chaps.
Nice to know the truth about these engines. They are a good motor and I don't think it deserves a lot of the bad press it's had in the past. Like you said Mark,it's probably the tuners doing to scare owners into spending lots of cash.
I find it hard to trust invoices for builds. Even more so now after hearing pulsarstu's discovery. So it's good to know that the std internals can take a fair wack of power.

IrishDan

mines ran 331.6bhp on standard internals for a long time at 1.2bar, fmic, fpr etc, prof if everything else is on order it should be fine

gtir_pimp

I've seen a standard (2nd hand 100000mile+) 200sx sr20det run at 500+bhp and it lasted a fair while .. in a drift car. and that is a weaker version of the pulsar engine.ask mark says 350-400 should last a fair while
i remeber seeing that. paul cheshire dyno at motorworx. is it still going on that engine?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I thought it was that the standard map only covered fuelling to ~1bar... which I'm told has also been disproved, because the standard ECU isn't using a MAP sensor so the actual top of the map is a little flexible.

nimhbk

Mine was running really lean at 1 bar. Need larger injectors and z32 maf to go any higher, and a lot of help from fusion Ed