Gearboxes on standard power..

Sam_M

Just wondering how long the lifespan of gearboxes are with pulsars on standard power, and not launching the car??? I feel as gearboxes last as long as the next time the car needs a service, surely they`re not that bad are they???

O

Odin

Well where do I start matey, You do understand that your gearbox is at least 12 years old or up to 16 years old on the oldest pulsars, So its already lasted quite a while wouldn't you say lol.

How much longer will it last ? answer how long is a piece of string lol, By now all the bearing's and syncro's must be pretty warn so it could do you another 10 miles or if your lucky another 20k who knows matey.

You have to remember that nothing lasts for ever on any car weather its a pulsar or an evo/skyline , Even my £3000 quaife gearbox needed rebuilding after 4 years and 36k of hard use.

Rob

MarkTurbo

I've come to the conclusion that its just down to luck if they break or not :lol:

My first box broke at standard boost, and the 2nd one broke at 0.9 bar. The one i've got in now has been taking 1.5 bar and has had quite a lot of 6000 rpm launches and (touch wood) is fine, work that one out :der:

Like Rob said it'll be at least 12 years old by now and you cant expect things to last forever, dont worry about it til it goes ;-)

O

Odin

pete-r said:
Rob,

How much did you pay to have the quaiffe rebuilt?
I had the transfer box done at the same time mate, And it was £670 all in and that included shipping it back to me , It all depends whats needed mate.

Mr gearbox charges about £140 plus parts I think to rebuild a box.

Rob

Sam_M

Sorry i meant to say the Gearbox is only about a year old, altho just heard from the Garage its at, the oil drained was very very clean and only a tiny amount of metal came out. Very frustrating

MarkTurbo

Sam_M said:
just heard from the Garage its at, the oil drained was very very clean and only a tiny amount of metal came out. Very frustrating
Theres a magnet in the bottom of the box so there could be more metal inside it ;-)

c20ona

My car / gearbox is over 16yrs old now, running std boost and still feels like new. Never had a problem yet (touches wood ! - and no c0ck jokes please). Just like anything else though, it'll break when it wants too.

Kenny

J

Jim_1979

Mine was rebuilt in December and the bugger had better last as long as I have the car!!!

Sam_M

Ive just picked up a Recon gearbox from Darren on here, thanks mate, now to get it to the garage tommorow morning should be up and runing again within a couple of days :D:D, :thumbsup: