Gearbox?

Shaun

:D Hi guy's,bit of a problem.......my little bro has just bought a nice 'H' plate 'R' about a week ago and since then it has developed a whirring noise through the gears :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: Its more noticable as you take up the drive in first gear and is pretty quiet in fourth and it makes no noise as you change down through the gears :? I was thinking maybe the input shaft bearing :?: Or maybe the box being low on oil :?: Gonna check the oil in the morning,havent checked it before as we were gradually working through things and didnt spot the noise until tonight :wink: Any ideas would be appreciated :)

Shaun

:wink: Bit of an update,checked the fluids this morning and all are ok :wink: Then turned the passenger front wheel and the noise seems to be coming from the diff,turned the driverside front wheel and can turn it about 1/3rd of a turn before it engages :wink: So does this mean the diff is scrap or the transfer box :?: Also if it is the diff,then can it be sorted in situe by removeing the transfer box :?: Or does the transfer box contain the front diff and it can be sorted by swapping the transfer box :?:

A

andy n

front diff is in the transfer box. i believe you can get to it with the transfer box in situ. through the drivers side wheelarch

Shaun

:wink: Right,after a bit more investegation it looks like the diffs or final drive on the transfer box that are on the way out :wink: Anyone know if i can get the transfer box off with the engine and gearbox in situe :?: