Gearbox refresh or build or just fit 2nd hand.

Superduck

Hi there,

I am putting this out for some info or advice from everyone, but I guess Danny is the man for this.

i am now about to fit my third gearbox as they keep going while I am in third gear on the track. My car is around 280bhp maybe 300 as it's a bit of animal on the track.

Anyway without further adieu, should I get this box opened before I fit it and if so what should I change while it's open? (£80 to get it opened). Is it worth doing the bearings at the same time, of course if the box is goosed then a rebuilt or other box will purchased, but just thinking what should/could I do while it's opened on a budget. The fork will be strengthened before it's fitted.

the big plan is a quaife will be sourced next after I get the car to 400bhp, so hopefully this box is to last the next few track days or till this time next year.

this might sound silly but does all the torque transfer through one gear like 3rd or 4th? Can I just straight cut this gear? Knockhill I mainly use 3rd and 4th so if I could upgrade these I think it's worth it.

next question where can I get the bits, and I main a bearing company that I use for the generators and turbines offshore that say they can make the bearings if I get them the code is this advisable or should just go for Nissan.

The way I am thinking is the cost of box, opening it, changing parts etc, could be half the price of quaife, so should I just fit and hope for the best till I do right so to speak.

apologies for grammar and spelling in advance.

Craig

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Forget "when I hit 400bhp" just quaife 3rd and 4th and add an updated selector.

Then perform a full rebuild, bearings synco's the lot.

Just do it once and do it right, you'll know then its future proofed for quite a while and it's been done right.

I've messed about doing bits here and there and it's pointless. Track work adds 3 times the wear and stress than road use so things will always need replacing our wear out faster.

Not only that it'll save you much more in costs if to do it right now than leaving it later.

...just my opinion!

red reading

Take an old gearbox that has lost 3rd, replace it and 4th and 5th with quaife gears ( tbh quaife might be getting suss to this and getting pissed with orders for them) along with all the gearbox seals, and change the 4 shaft bearings, fit a ppg selector fork.....now change anything that is worn, synchro,springs , any thing ....this prevents your new parts being ruined prematurely ....and enjoy reliability.

adebaker1

What sort of price would you charge to check over one of my spare gearboxes as my current is struggling into 4th and 5th !!!!