gearbox question

Fire & skill

Vintage member
going to look at an R tomorrow, fifth gear has gone. his wife was driving it at the time, took it to asda! she said she went to put it into fifth and it 'wasnt there' hmm, could it just be a pin come out or something? how easy is it to repair the box?

antgtir

How much is it going for? If its really cheap then i would buy it as long as everything else was good :D

if you can do the work yourself i.e. stripping the box off the engine and putting it back agan once sorted you will save a fortune and have an R, bonus. :wink:

Fire & skill

Vintage member
antgtir said:
How much is it going for? If its really cheap then i would buy it as long as everything else was good :D

if you can do the work yourself i.e. stripping the box off the engine and putting it back agan once sorted you will save a fortune and have an R, bonus. :wink:
exactly what i was thinking :lol: ive not seen the car yet but fingers crossed. ive never done a box before but im willing to give it a go! one of my mates rebuilds gearboxes and he is going to help me (although he doesnt know yet) i'll chuck a 24 case of stella his way for the effort!!!

have to get rid of the GT4 as well

MarkTurbo

Fire & skill said:
his wife was driving it at the time, took it to asda! she said she went to put it into fifth and it 'wasnt there'
Thats what he tells you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

More like he was ragging it and stripped 5th gear :wink: Once you take the casing apart 5th is pretty easy to get to. Its right on the end of the cluster, you'll just need a gear puller set to get it off :wink:

Theres one down the road from me with a broken box going for £1500 :shock: I'd buy it straight away if i had the cash spare :(

antgtir

Sounds like a suck it and see job to me mate, i cant see you losing too much if it does go pete tong and you need a different box, there's always one on here to have.

As long as the base car and engine etc is fine then id go for it, also as long as you've got the time and patience for a bit of hassle lol.

Goodluck mate, Ant.

Fire & skill

Vintage member
saw the car, the alloys are nice but in pretty bad cond. has a rust bubble at NS rear arch, rev counter doesnt work anymore. engine in very good nick, still top mounted, nice clean interior but headcloth is sagging in the back :shock: badges missign from tailgate, apart from that it seems ok.

still wants quite a bit for it :? dont think it has much mot left either

Mr GTiR

If you take the engine out it's a piece of pi$$ to do the box - 20 mins max to swap over a box with the engine out

However, you can drop the engine off it's mounts and do a gearbox change with the engine in but is A LOT of hassle and work.

A good second hand box can be brought for £500 :wink:

P

paulrandy

or if it's just 5th gone you can repair the box in the car for £100 job done in 2 hours.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Fire & skill said:
saw the car, the alloys are nice but in pretty bad cond. has a rust bubble at NS rear arch, rev counter doesnt work anymore. engine in very good nick, still top mounted, nice clean interior but headcloth is sagging in the back :shock: badges missign from tailgate, apart from that it seems ok.

still wants £2500 for it :? dont think it has much mot left either
Sounds like a bit of a lemon when you put it like that. Maybe it's better in the flesh or maybe there's another £2K engine re-build just round the corner. Second hand R's are a complete minefield

Jim

ex-gtir

paulrandy said:
or if it's just 5th gone you can repair the box in the car for £100 job done in 2 hours.
it can be done in situ but me and many others would not do it for £100 it not a five minute job :(

Fire & skill

Vintage member
Stevo said:
is that good or bad?? :?
fookin great mate!!! took us all of 14 secs to fit another circlip and 2 hours to put it all back together!! did it using a guide on here which has now dissapeared :?

no idea where it went, it was a fantastic help as well.

basically we took off N/S wheel and driveshaft. drained oil from box, removed battery and IC. then undid N/S engine mounts and dropped the engine and box down at one side, removed end case from box which let us into the gearing, spotted the broken circlip attatched to the magnet. put a new circlip on (yes it was that easy) and put everything back together. added 4.3litres of new gear oil and took it for a spin 8)