Gearbox problem any ideas?

N

NeverEnough

Hi everyone.

My friend and I have just installed a JDM Engine and Gearbox in his Pulsar with approx 45000 miles on it.

The first short test runs have been fine but yesderday I took the car on a 100 mile run on the M6. After just 50 miles sat in 5th gear at 70mph it popped out of gear?

I tried to put it back in with a bit of a crunch and within a minute it was back out. All other gears appear fine.

This continued either on or off throttle with it sometimes lasting 10 mintues before popping out again. I had to resort to driving back in 4th gear.

One day later and town driving and short distances in 5th gear reveal no problems. There is no crunching or grinding and it has not popped out again.

In your experience with Pulsars does this sound like the box is about to go? One thing I have discovered is when the box is in neutral if you push the gear stick to the left it makes a knocking sound.

Having a quick look under the car it looks like the support bar has play in it, hence the knocking. Could that be a possible cause?

Any help, suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

Martin

P

paulrandy

Sounds more like the baulk rings are severely worn on fifth, quite a common problem, easily 'bodged' on an R box, fifth is like an add on or afterthought with a weird design which allows the 5th gear baulk to be turned around-like new again! or you could do it proper and replace 5th gear and the ring, quite expensive though! could also be a problem with the detent balls/springs/rods or could be the bush, either way the box can easily be stripped in the car- see the how to guides.