gearbox pressurisation problems.

kyepan

Hi there

Just a quick question,

what would cause the gearbox to pressurise and blow oil out of its breahter. I understand that the transfer box oil seals can cause this, might anything else cause the gearbox to pressurise and loose oil. oh and the breathers are clear too.

It has 1.8 litres in the transfer box and 5.2 in the gearbox. many thanks

Justin

GINGA

The gearbox shouldn't really have any pressure in it at all :shock: there will be a tiny bit due to the expansion of the oil as it heats up but thats it, is the breather pipe connected right eh the top of it up near the distributor :?: as if its lying on the gearbox that could well be your problem.

kyepan

thanks ginga, my breather is attached in the correct place,(little plastic thingy under the intercooler) but seems to be stretched to reach... it doesn't hook all the way over, only comes up and turns 90 degrees to face the back of the engine. if it was a little short, say 2-3 inches could that account for the problem.. copious ammounts are coming out at present. enough to coat the engine bay from the breather back to the bulk head, all over the fuel filter etc etc.

like you say expansion should make it expand a little, but not masses

should it be 5.2 litres of oil in the gearbox?

J

jasegould

I think it less :?: .....I brought 5 bottles of redline MT90 at 0.9 litres eash and had a bit left

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The gearbox takes about 4.3lt. If you have put 5.2litres in, that could be your problem, the gearbox might be getting rid of the excess oil. :shock:

Where/how did you fill it if you did put that in?