Gearbox Oil Change where are the bungs?

M

mercenary

Just wondering if anyone has pictures of the drainage & filling bungs of the gearbox, I am having trouble finding them. Want to put some redline oil in, sorry this has probably already been covered, but is there a how to guide somewhere?

Thanks

A

AZ STE

Ones underneath square recess plug short ratchet extension fits in wthout a socket on.The fill plug is at the front of the gearbox just below engine mount difficult to see.Fill until it just starts coming out of the fill plug you will need a short pipe and funnel to fill. :wink:

J

J-GTi-R

Make sure you can undo the filler plug before you undo the drain plug too... :wink:

R

rsnissan

if you cant get the drain plug out the you can remove the reverse switch :wink:

A

Anonymous

Did any one have the problem with the filler plug for the gearbox?
as its a weird size, different to the other ones, and not a standard rachet size...

L

Little Erve

Yup, mine was a weird size, that's when you find a big metric bolt and grind it down to fit.

A

AZ STE

Ones 3/8" bare extension ,the others 1/2" bare extension

Danny S R

Could anyone be a top dude and post some quick pics of where the drainage/fill holes are on the box? Totally new to the car so haven't a clue, plus is the diff a different pair of drainage/fill holes?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Just get under the car and have a look. I'm sure the gearbox and transfer box drain plugs between them are a 1/2 and a 3/8? square drive. ie a biggish flat plug (on the bottom face of the box) with a square hole in that your ratchet handle+extension fits in. The gearbox filler is on the front face highish up, awkward to get to and best if you have a funnel with a long spout to go in from above for filling purposes . The transfer box filler (1/2 inch drive ) is somewhere above the drivers side driveshaft/exhaust again not the best of places :?
fill with your car on level ground if you can or jacked up enough to get under. Gearbox is about 4.3L and transfer 1.5L

Dooie Pop Pop

Fast Guy said:
Just get under the car and have a look. I'm sure the gearbox and transfer box drain plugs between them are a 1/2 and a 3/8? square drive. ie a biggish flat plug (on the bottom face of the box) with a square hole in that your ratchet handle+extension fits in. The gearbox filler is on the front face highish up, awkward to get to and best if you have a funnel with a long spout to go in from above for filling purposes . The transfer box filler (1/2 inch drive ) is somewhere above the drivers side driveshaft/exhaust again not the best of places :?
fill with your car on level ground if you can or jacked up enough to get under. Gearbox is about 4.3L and transfer 1.5L

has any one got any pics of these?? can see square holed plug at farside (standing in front of car) of the bell housing near the bulkhead its got a piece of metal above it with a hole to reach the plug beneath. is this the gb one?

cant even find transfer case one :oops: