gearbox? master cylinder? help !

MINESGTIR

Hi

last night about 5 mins from home my gearbox went all funny.... basically it was mighty tough to put the car into gear whilst driving.. i pulled up at home, checked the clutch fluid... EMPTY

so..... i filled it.. pumped the pedal like fook for a min or so to try and bleed it a bit... the level stayed as it was... little bit of air came up... then jarred the pedal down for 3 hours... let it up slowly and topped up again...

(the best of a bad situation for bleeding it)

anyways... this morning... the little bitch didnt want to go into reverse and kept grinding... still no movement on the clutch fluid level.

i took it to the shops and fook me it would not have 2nd to 3rd gear change one bit... then it started to work fine with 2nd to 3rd and wouldnt do 3rd to 4th

Then it wouldnt do reverse and grinded a bit when i tried.

i drove it to work.. i get the normal jangle of my bearings in the HKS clutch when i press the clutch in and its still biting how it would.

its just being very tight and funny... any ideas people?

i can assume the master cylinder is knackered.. surely if my box was dead then it would have a definate sign.. like NO WAY will i go into 2nd ?

STUCK

gunmetalgtir

Sounds like the ball that the pivot fork sits on has burst through the fork, or the release bearing has snapped, so the clutch isn't disengaging properly.

MINESGTIR

no clutch fluid on floor in drivers foot well.. cable over gearbox looks ok so no clutch leak ... i think its the master cylinder to be honest... hmmm i dunno.. thankyou for your suggestion gunmetalgtir

J

jpward

MINESGTIR said:
Hi

checked the clutch fluid... EMPTY

so..... i filled it.. pumped the pedal like fook for a min or so to try and bleed it a bit... the level stayed as it was... little bit of air came up... then jarred the pedal down for 3 hours... let it up slowly and topped up again...

(the best of a bad situation for bleeding it)

STUCK

:doh:

Can i assume you do not know how to actually bleed the clutch properly and i would bet that bleeding it will see a massive difference in both pedal feel and smoothness in change.

1; Top up the res
2; Undo the bleed screw on the slave cyclinder 10mm (best not to remove only untighten until you could remove with finger pressure)
3; Lightly depress pedal all the way to the floor then let up slowly (best get a buddy to do this)
4;After a couple of "pumps" there should be a little pressure against pedal and fluid apears to no longer have bubbles of air, get your buddy to hold pedal down or use prop against seat if on todd (make sure res is up to max mark)
5; Tighten the bleed screw
6; Release the pedal slowly you should now feel full pressure

One thing to bear in mind is a tube and bottle to catch the fluid but i usually just use a cloth as its quicker.

Id also say chances are your master cyclinder is on its way out as this is how mine after not needing any fluid for 5 years suddently needed a fill up every month (i became a dab hand at bleeding in the dark at the side of the road ;-)

N

nav

clutch probs

what about the clutch salve cylinder thats not leaking or anything is it