Gearbox and transfer box oil

jameswrx2

When under the car the other day I was looking at 2 plugs, 1 for gearbox oil, 1 for transfer..

Now, if you remove driveshafts and loose oil is this just from gearbox?

Is transfer box completely seperate oil'wise?

P

pulsarboby

you will lose transfer and gearbox oils by removing shafts!

little tip! before removing shafts make sure you can get both the filler plugs undone as these can sometimes be a right mare to loosen off, which then leaves you in a not very good situation lol

jameswrx2

hmm..

So they're not seperate then?

I had nearside driveshaft out a while back and refilled gearbox oil. So I should fill transfer too?

But if they both leak out then surely if you fill one it'll fill the other?

P

pulsarboby

no the gearbox and transfer boxes are seperate units which are bolted together.
but when you remove driveshafts then you will lose oil from them both as the n/s driveshaft fits through the gearbox but the o/s one enters through the transfer box.
so yes if you have removed a shaft (either one) then you will lose all transfer and gearbox oils.
they will not fill eachother through one plug!

mattytappy

I had trouble getting my gearbox drain nut undone.....what a bitch...had to pee around welding another nut on to it just to get it undone...so a 10 min job took half a bloody hour as per usual.

jameswrx2

pulsarboby said:
no the gearbox and transfer boxes are seperate units which are bolted together.
but when you remove driveshafts then you will lose oil from them both as the n/s driveshaft fits through the gearbox but the o/s one enters through the transfer box.
so yes if you have removed a shaft (either one) then you will lose all transfer and gearbox oils.
they will not fill eachother through one plug!
Ok, thanks.