Gear boxes..

A

Anonymous

Does anyone else have the close ratio box in their gtir?

Do you like it?

to tell you the truth i want another gear. it just dosnt seem to wind out enough. to be doing 4.5thou(rpm) at 110km's around about 70mph seems to eat up alot of petrol for freeway driving.

anybody else share the same problem??

O

Odin

I did have 1 on my old R and it was 5hit I hated it :evil: .

I only used to get 90 miles to a tank of fuel :shock: :evil: .

Go get a standard box or a QUAIFE/PAR gearset your never
look back, Your then be able to hit 60 in second gear 8) and
relax down the freeway :wink: .

rob

S

Stoned

I thought the 5th gear on the quaife box was the same as the normal box, so the revs would be just the same and the poor economy?

J

J-GTi-R

Yeah but V is talking about the economy on his old close-ratio box. The standard ratio box is much better for everyday driving.

A

Anonymous

crikey yeah petrol seems like a bitch, tho i tend to take it down the park/gravel/dirt a bit and play with the rev limiter and clutch good fun for a while...

but i was thinking of getting the internals upgraded dog box perhaps with straight cut gears... maybe keep the same ratios or near enough, and get a 6th throwm in aswell if i can.

A

Anonymous

hmm also did you seem to get alot of whiney noises out of your box?

i know i am dew for a full service and will get it done pretty soon, but i wondering if its a problem.

i hear something about diffs not been good...

O

Odin

No it didn't whine, mind you I prob wouldn't of heard it over
the sound of my engine doing 7500 rpm every where :cry: .

rob

Hey u guys always complaining about the close ratio gearbox.
If u guys dont want i wont mind exchangin my normal box for the close ratio.
Or is it really too close that it is not even suitable for track use such as Silverstone type of tracks?
Actually are they any stronger than the normal box?

A

Anonymous

BabyGodzillaGTi-R said:
Hey u guys always complaining about the close ratio gearbox.
If u guys dont want i wont mind exchangin my normal box for the close ratio.
Or is it really too close that it is not even suitable for track use such as Silverstone type of tracks?
Actually are they any stronger than the normal box?
i'm not really complaining hey, i like it as i'm into short hill climbs and sprint type events,

but i wouldnt mind another gear.

at 180km/h in 5th i am fairly close to the rev cut.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I don't like my close ratio box too much. You run out of revs in 5th at 130mph (and I'm talking 7500revs). Plus you're always doing more revs than you would need to on a standard box. :cry:

It does accelerate like stink tho. Not sure how it would compare with a normal box, quicker I'd guess, uptil maybe 3rd, then the same after that.

Edited cos I was sober when I wrote it. :?

A

Anonymous

Fast Guy said:
I don't like my close ratio box too much. You run out of revs in 5th at 130mph (and I'm talking 7500revs). Plus you're always doing more revs than you would need to on a standard box. :cry:

It does accelerate like stink tho. Not sure how it would compare with a normal box, slower I'd guess, uptil maybe 3rd, then the same after that.
thats the way i see it too, there is so much more potential in the engine but the box seems to hold alot of this power back.