gav-kara's old car. test drive prob

guider

went to view this car on monday and what a nice beast this is.he did a part ex with a chap round my way for a evo. the second test drive put me right off buying it. on start up from cold it wouldnt idle proper and kept cutting out? then once we drove it about for a bit it went into safe mode so i said forget it. any ideas people?????????????

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
So the guy who bought it is trying to offload it on you?
When you say it wouldn't idle properly, what do you mean? They have a pretty lumpy idle naturally, but something as tuned as that will have a few tricks. - I've got HKS cams and no PCV... so on starting my idle normally goes ~1200rpm... ~600rpm... ~950rpm. It doesn't cut out though.

What happens if you give it a squirt of fuel;does it settle-down then?
Is it running a PowerFC (I can't remember) because they require a bit of fiddling to get the idle to work nicely... something to do with the closed-loop using the lambda sensor; it confuses it, and it works better without it?

A fault code check might tell you what's going on. Could be the knock sensor has gone... or it could be that this chap has flogged the crap out of it since he's had it, and now it's let go.

If you're seriously interested in it, try and convince a local member to have a look and tell you what they think.

gtir_pimp

if uprated cams are fitted to a pulsar properly then they idle normally dont they? but the revs do piss about on these cars anyway!

GTiR-Aholic

Could be a sensor playing up... TPS? - As above, do a fault code check but then saying that I heard if in safe/limp mode it won't show faults :S..

To be honest.. if first impressions aren't good I'd stay away ... look for a nice standard one to work with - you'll appreciate it more ;).. before buying my R, I found a DIRT CHEAP M-Reg which looked absolutely MINT.. but I didn't buy it because it was in Ireland for £2500 and I found mine for £1600 on UK Mainland :p

It was on gumtree.. might still be there.. check gumtree for R's in ireland ;)

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
if uprated cams are fitted to a pulsar properly then they idle normally dont they? but the revs do piss about on these cars anyway!
Yeah - the consensus is that if you just whack them in it'll be a bit lumpy, and that you really need to adjust the shims if you're changing the cams.
Logically, if you're changing the timing at which the valves are opening it can effect how the car idles... I suppose it all depends what cams were installed.

I think the car must have been thrashed because I don't remember any threads about problems Gav was having with the car... in fact I thought it was running quite well before it was sold. Am I confused?

R

riske

Yeah gavs car is a very nice car. I dont seem to recall him having problems. He also didnt come across as that type of person to flog it broken. Something else seems fishy. Could be knock sensor or tps as above. Could be battery being fairly flat. Send Gav a pm to ask, he may still check this fantastic amazing site out because we are all so nice. lol

guider

i ran a fault code check and it came up fine. 5 flashes of each. i had been in touch with gav and hes fumming about the car.he seems like a top guy and helped me alot. the car just wouldnt tick over, it kept reving from 0-1000rpm then cutting out. had to rev its tits off to get it settle. he then dropped the bonnet and it cut out.WTF

GTiR-Aholic

sounds like TPS. Something on the intake side.. it's either not breathing properly, not taking enough air in to it's air/fuel mixture or it's taking too much air in.

Get a can of easy start or similar from halfords.. and with the vehicle started and idling (whether it be poor idling or not) spray loads of easy start around the throttle bodies / plenum.. if the car revs up on it's own when doing this.. then you've got a leaky intake which could be causing this issue.. the leaky intake would be sucking air into the combustion chambers which hasn't passed through your Air Flow Sensor and so.. isn't accounted for by the ECU when calculating the air/fuel ratio so it's going to be running lean.. easy start is highly combustable so spraying it around leaks will suck it in and compensate for the extra air in the combustion chambers making it ignite and rev the car up ;)

Umm... other than that.. if it don't work then needs to be looked at properly.

Gav_Kara

the car was 100% when i did the trade in only ever problem i used to get was maf sensor getting dirty from so much turbo flutter so clean maf all will be good.. the car ran a mapped ecu and idle was always bang on at 1200rpm no cutting out or nothing my hand on heart that car was perfect and i knew every thing on that car down to each nut and bolt.... the det sensor wont that old ect only other thing i car think is they put 95 ron in it and it used to hate the stuff!!
if anyone has any questions about the car please pm me and i will answer

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Gav, if I remember rightly the biggest problem you had with it before you sold it was taking the front-exit exhaust that Kara had bought you off the car.

Do you think it's just a dirty MAF, or has someone killed it? If they have, it's a shame because it was a beast by all acounts.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Have you checked the plugs? I don't know this car but if its got cold plugs in for working on high boost but is then crawling around off boost for a period of weeks or months then that can do strange things to idle. It might have sounded like a safe mode when it was just the plugs failing to fire above 3Krpm. When I come home and take my car for its MOT I'm already planning on a new set of plugs

I might be missing something here (no pun intended) but if Gav has moved on and guider walked away then who does it matter to now?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
It's a good point Jim. We were just trying to be helpful in case guider was still interested.

Gav_Kara

i had new plugs and yes cold running ridium ones. new leads and cap plus rotor arm.. im 100% shore it will be maf mate and steve told me when he had been down too look at car the lad had messed about with the maf... the engine was a good running when i drove it to trade it in it did a 160mile run with no stops and didnt miss a beat and steve only went to look at it 2 days after!!!
the car always fired up no worries and idled high due to mapped ecu but that was normal apart from that it pulled very well and run spot on i promis everyone if i didnt have a baby on the way and wonted a evo i,d still have that R to this day....