G/BOX PROBS

M

MORRISMINOR GTI-R

hi chaps, ok just had the engine rebuilt and now on 3k with no probs at all 8) but now im getting some funny nioses from the g.box. Not sure wether its gonna be clutch release bearing or input shaft bearing :cry: The noise is there most the time on tickover and sometimes goes when i press the clutch FULLY to the floor. just sounds like a dry bearing? :? any ideas??

M

MORRISMINOR GTI-R

i hope so......but been speaking to a mechanic and he says if it was that then the noise would go away as soon as i touch the clutch pedal :?

zia

does it whine on low rpm and at slow speed? no noise when putting load on engine? if so then possibility that it,s gearbox shaft, bearing

zia

sypher

does it sound like a grating / light tapping noise if so check box oils as it could be gear chatter especially if its at idle with no drive.

in my experience release bearing noises usually get worse when you apply clutch as you are loading the bearing rather than let it rest.... i'm not saying its not though

M

MORRISMINOR GTI-R

yes it does make a 'grating' sound and like said its when there is load on the engine/box. ive now ruled out the thrust bearing as it cant be that. The oil seems to be ok and was changed about 3 months ago.looks like abox rebuild then :? :cry: :evil: :evil: :x

J

jasegould

Thrust bearings will make a noise with your foot on the clutch. The gearbox will make a noise with your foot off the clutch and in neutral

fil_gtir

Ive just had my gearbox rebuilt after the input bearing went, it made a rattly noise on idle in neutral, clutch out which when the clutch was pressed could be heard slowing down to a stop, and appearing again when clutch released. Also, made noise at low revs in 1st and 2nd, and when changing down gears.

It cost me £325 for all new bearings and seals, i took engine and box out myself.

Phil