FWD LSD

T

T11EWL

Right, enough of the acronyms -

Watching TopGear the other night

Jezza said:
....the maximum amount of power a front-wheel-drive car should handle is 230bhp.....this SAAB 95 has 250
Can't help but feel an LSD would be a good idea in the Almera but don't really know the first thing about them.

I think it's safe to say no-one makes one for the Almera - how would I go about sourcing a suitable alternative?[/quote]

J

J-GTi-R

Give Quaiffe a call, but don't expect them to be cheap if they can make one for you.

You could try checking JDM Nissans to see if there's an LSD you can pilfer out of one of them, but that's a bit of a long shot. Or maybe surf the US websites for Sentra SE-R conversions (FWD often with GTi-R transplants), as surely someone over there will make an LSD that would fit.

Follow this link though for a good (basic) breakdown of LSDs and open diffs.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential5.htm

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
T11EWL said:
Watching TopGear the other night

Jezza said:
....the maximum amount of power a front-wheel-drive car should handle is 230bhp.....this SAAB 95 has 150
Well, my last car had about 240+bhp no lsd and it drove fine. Just wheel spun abit in the wet. :wink:

G

gotoinstant-redline

your best bet is the yank stuff.

get some sentra parts. they will fit and wont cost too much.
cant think off the top of my head where to look. but if i remember i'l lpost back here.

L.

G

GTI-R Kid

How similar is the Almera box to the Sunny FWD box? Coz i know there was an LSD available for the FWD Pulsar - a mate had one in his 1.8SR :wink:

S

Sirnixalot

nismo makes one for both the box with the standard viscous LSD or non LSD both LSD units are different so you need to find out which box you have. jack up the car and rotate a wheel forward...if the other goes in the same direction you have the standard viscous LSD.

A

Anonymous

i have the nismo diff in my sunny gti (with gtir motor) it came out of an almera grp n rally car and bolted straight on. I think the diff is about £900 but the pulsar group of australia is doing a group buy on them at the moment and can tell u a bit more about them.

from my experience the grip is awesome, i only wish i had driven the car with the sunny gti box in first to see the difference (box was fitted at the same time as the gtir lump)

i am planning on running over 300hp fwd, and although it wont be as quick as a 4wd off the line, i dont expect to have any trouble at all against nova turbos, or other 2.0 turbo fwds

there is also a nissan vlsd that comes in pulsar gti imports (the 1.8 ones), not meant to be as good as the nismo one but is still meant to be much better than standard. i have a vlsd on my civic with integra motor, and have never been beaten off the line by another fwd, even ones with much more horsepower.

that 230 bhp remark is total c**p, although i cant prove it till im set up and been to the strip.