fuel surge...

turbodaily

getting fuel surge on the R on full chat when cornering. its done it since day one (pump was already on car). have pulled it out the tank and checked it has original filter/pickup and is properly mounted.

interested to see how people have overcome fuel surge without the need for fitting a secondary pump and swirl pot..?? are their baffled fuel tanks available, or is it possible to lengthen the pickup, or position the pump futher down in the tank?

ive never had this prob with any of my previous R's fitted with walbro 255's. find it strange how some cars suffer from this and some dont?

cheers lads 8)

B1Ad3

Nub question and sorry for hijack but what is fuel surge and whats it feel like.

Bump ^_^

turbodaily said:
getting fuel surge on the R on full chat when cornering. its done it since day one (pump was already on car). have pulled it out the tank and checked it has original filter/pickup and is properly mounted.

interested to see how people have overcome fuel surge without the need for fitting a secondary pump and swirl pot..?? are their baffled fuel tanks available, or is it possible to lengthen the pickup, or position the pump futher down in the tank?

ive never had this prob with any of my previous R's fitted with walbro 255's. find it strange how some cars suffer from this and some dont?

cheers lads 8)

GTi-R23

Fuel surge is fuel starvation as the car is cornering, the fuel 'surges' to one side of the tank causing the pump to suck air not fuel, and hence the engine stutters and misses, not good if you have your foot planted and making boost as the car will run lean.

As for stopping it, sounds like you've done most of the common things, making sure the pickup is as low in the tank as possible, retaining the standard pick-up, this usually sorts most peoples problems.

Are you running it exceptionally low on fuel?

azboy

fill up ur tank dan ur, gauge is probably showing u have more fuel in it then u have, on ur last r maybe the other way round, thats all it can be after checking the basics, mine does this when very low on fuel.

turbodaily

i will admit that i usually run it on 1/4 tank BUT i did the same with my other Rs and didnt have any probs. I have tried it with half a tank and it still surges..

have read somewhere someone moved the pump lower down into the tank and it cured the problem, any suggestions on how to go about this?

and read people lengthen the pickup somehow??

also seen a pic of a little box/tray that the filter sits in, so it stops some of the fuel sloshing to one side of the tank??

has anyone done any of the above?

thanks lads

azboy

r u sure the pump hasent twisted since u refitted it lifting the filter up as half a tank is a lot of fuel to get to surge

turbodaily

arron thats the first thing i thought when i brought the car, so pulled the pump out and checked. admitidly it only had 1 lousy cable tie holding the pump in place from whoever fitted it originally. so i reffited it all secure made sure the filter was in the correct position etc.

frp

I suffer the same problem been looking into swirl pots recently as its very annoying especially when pulling out from a junction etc
Why not fit a swirl pot? or are you seeing if an easy fix is available? let me know if you find a solution.

steve

turbodaily

yeah just seing if theres any cures less extreme than a second pump, dont really like the idea of it incase one fails..

Trip

you can always find a way to baffle the tank, or fill it up with the special fuel tank foam.

nitrosgti-r

If i was going to the trouble of taking the tank out, i would simply weld or some how seal a plate forming a sub section that the pump sits in at the bottom and drill a hole in it so that when the fuel suges to one side you still have that little bit trapped in the sub section to feed the pump??

Just a suggestion??

Trip

nitrosgti-r said:
If i was going to the trouble of taking the tank out, i would simply weld or some how seal a plate forming a sub section that the pump sits in at the bottom and drill a hole in it so that when the fuel suges to one side you still have that little bit trapped in the sub section to feed the pump??

Just a suggestion??
Thats what i meant when i said baffled tank :)

turbodaily

yeah thats what i thought would be a tad fiddly. essexaaron i think it will go in the tank ok as if you look the stock pick up is roughly the same length as that tray..

dya think the tray looks like its attached to the pump bracket maybe? as just wondering how it sits secure in the tank..