Fuel Surge on the R

warringtonjack

When I was giving the R what for around the track, I was getting some shocking fuel surge, with the tank just slightly below half full. Had to drive off the track and straight to the nearest Shell to fill up, before going back out again. What have the rest of you track orientated people done to counteract this? Are there baffled fuel tanks available? Or have you installed baffles yourself?

youngsyp

I was thinking about this the other day !

I'm going to take my fuel pump out, re-seat it so it's angled more towards the bottom of the tank and put a small length of hose (maybe 3 inches) between the pump and the filter so that the fuel pick up will always be submerged in fuel. Simple and easy to do and no need for any extra weight under the bonnet !

Paul

Braveheart

youngsyp said:
I was thinking about this the other day !

I'm going to take my fuel pump out, re-seat it so it's angled more towards the bottom of the tank and put a small length of hose (maybe 3 inches) between the pump and the filter so that the fuel pick up will always be submerged in fuel. Simple and easy to do and no need for any extra weight under the bonnet !

Paul
Just the job Paul.
When I replaced my fuel pump OE to 255l I used the OE pickup and made sure the pump was well down in the carrier and the fuel pickup filler was at the correct angle and submerged with an almost empty tank.
I have not experience fuel surge with 1/4 tank on the track.
Maybe some of the cars that have bad fuel surge do not have the OE fuel pickup fitted to the 255l pump, it's too high in the carrier or at the wrong angle into the tank....

youngsyp

Braveheart said:
Just the job Paul.
When I replaced my fuel pump OE to 255l I used the OE pickup and made sure the pump was well down in the carrier and the fuel pickup filler was at the correct angle and submerged with an almost empty tank.
I have not experience fuel surge with 1/4 tank on the track.
Maybe some of the cars that have bad fuel surge do not have the OE fuel pickup fitted to the 255l pump, it's too high in the carrier or at the wrong angle into the tank....
I think the underlying problem is that the people at Walbro/Sytec deemed it OK to provide a pi$$ poor fitting kit with the GTiR 'specific' pump kit.
I know that I faffed around with various diameters of rubber hose around the pump, to pack it securely in the carrier.
Although I haven't had any sort of fuel surge (yet ?!), I'm still going to remove my pump and re-install it, using the method above. It certainly can't hurt !

Paul

rx jamie

just put a swirl pot in the boot with an external pump. thats what ive done. cost me 110 quid all in, walbro 255 inline £60, swirl pot £40, and lines £10.

snoon

rx jamie said:
just put a swirl pot in the boot with an external pump. thats what ive done. cost me 110 quid all in, walbro 255 inline £60, swirl pot £40, and lines £10.

Where did you get the swirl pot from mate?

stedee

yeah i have shocking fuel surge but i did refit the oe filter, i`m not sure which angle the pickup is meant to be in though