fuel pipe exploded

Nick K

Hi all.
One of the three rubber fuel pipes that comes down from the fuel tank underneath the car into the metal pipes that run to the front has exploded about 1" from where it terminates to the metal fuel pipes.

Its the closest rubber one to the passenger side!! From what I can see the furthest rubber pipe from passenger side goes across to the other side of the tank so i'm assuming the other two go up to the sender unit/pump. If this is correct can it be pulled out and a replacement drawn through without dropping the tank!!

The failed pipe looks like a land mine has gone off in it.. :cry:

Cheers.

Dangerous Dave

Is it not connected to another metal pipe? I changed one not long back but I can't remember which one it was now.

You could try and pull another one in but make sure it's fuel hose and I would tape the shit out of it because it will need a good tug! Or tie some sting/rope to it pull the old one out then pull the new one in.

Nick K

Finally found a picture of the fuel tank pipework, Not had a chance to fix the car yet.

pulsar fuel tank..jpg

Looks a bit of a git to try and pull a new pipe through by I'll have a go and report back :roll:

Nick K

Well what a TW*T that was to fix!!

Turns out the pipes over the tank are metal which I didn't know :oops: but getting to the termination up the front of the tank was a bitch. Its only a what a 8" bit of rubber petrol pipe between the metal pipe on the tank and the metal pipe that go to the front but getting at the tank pipe connection was a nightmare! The white plastic clip that supports the rubber pipe has gone to clip heaven, but I can live with that and its fixed :-D

Last edited:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If it's one of the pipes I'm thinking of, you need smaller hands. ;-)
I've done them, not easy, but not that bad. Mind you mine were about 7-8years younger at the time. I'm not sure how easy they'd be now.

Nick K

If it's one of the pipes I'm thinking of, you need smaller hands. ;-)
I've done them, not easy, but not that bad. Mind you mine were about 7-8years younger at the time. I'm not sure how easy they'd be now.
Yea that be the one! You need the hands of a child to do the job. Funny thing was when it split it had like a cyphon effect on the tank so it drained my tank pretty much dry over a few days! £4 for the pipe. £35 for fuel !!