Fuel odor

bevis

I've been ignoring this for quite sometime but now I feel the need to find and solve the problem...

I've been smelling fuel from inside the car. The smell is pretty much there all the time but noticeably stronger with fresh fuel. It's coming from the tank area, and I see no liquid leaks whatsoever behind there... I feel as though the tank is pressurizing but I have no clue as how to check for this..

Could the canister at the front of the car be at fault? Or would it be a problem with any of the vacuum/breather lines at the top of the tank?
Also, where can I get the rubber seal/o-ring that goes around the fuel pump access cover?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
likely to be the rubber lines on the top of the fuel tank.
I was going to suggest something like the seals on the pump housing, but that's the same area (although easier to get at). - Take the cover off first and check, but if Ed's right that means dropping the tank and replacing the line(s).

I would have thought if it was pressuring and the carbon canister was at fault, you'd smell it in the engine bay instead; or maybe under the car where the vent pipe goes.

Pressuring is definitely plausible for the West Indies; I used to have an issue with the fuel tank on my Celica spitting the fuel back-out on hot days in Australia... but then that Celica is probably the worst car I've ever owned. :doh:

Gtirchris

It is likely to be one or more of the fuel pipes/ breather pipes on top of the tank buddy as they are all 20 years old now so they are most probably perished or split, I had a similar problem with mine, i could smell fuel on warm/ hot days outside the car, it didn't make a difference how much fuel was in the tank it still smelt of fuel, I dropped the tank and found one of the small breather pipes had split, it's worthwhile replacing all of the pipes whilst the tank is out as the pipe isn't expensive to buy from your local motor factors and you will have peace of mind knowing that it isn't going to spring a leak later on.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
There's also hoses that run down the side of the tank that leak. They're doable with the tank on, but can be a bit of a pita.

bevis

Yea I figured it was those pipes but was hoping not to have to do that job on another gtir :sad: sigh..... Guess I better just do it and get it over with

mreguest

did you do this, don't suppose you took any pictures?

i think i have the same problem and if you have any pictures it would be great to see them and help visualize what i need to do?

many thanks,

Adam

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
Remove boot carpet ,remove galvanised steel cover over fuel pump cover, un plug fuel sender and fuel pump wires, remove all fuel pipes , unscrew big collar round fuel pump housing.........this maybe the problem as people sometimes don't put this back properly after changing fuel pumps..........now to remove tank.......make sure it is as empty as possible........remove subframe assembley, along with diff and prop shaft and anything else that is in the way, disconnect fuel pipes, be careful of abs wire and brake lines, disconnect filler and vent, remove two pins that hold the straps under the tank with the tank supported and lower down.....you will have to remove the exhaust from cat back before you lower it too..

have fun!