fse's crap?

G

gtirben

sorry i didnt introduce myself to anyone at jae finale,im ben the one with the knock! got the car back home,80 miles with no boost and an engine that sounded like a cement mixer full of bricks werent a lot of fun, is everyone in agreement that fse's are shyte and i should put the oe one back on?think this could have caused the knock,engine was rebuilt 2-3000 miles ago!

D

deslynam

It's just a pressure reg, unless it's set incorrectly why/how do they cause a problem?

F

Fusion Ed

I have mapped a few cars with these now. Both N/A and turbo with the FSE. NA they seem to be fine, but I have had very inconsistant results with them and turbo applications.

Basically I would always advise that you keep the stock fuel reg or use something like a Sard.

Ed

houghy_1

Fusion Ed said:
... or use something like a Sard.

Ed
:thumbsup:

Get a SARD Type RJ.

You can get them off 5400rpm on fleabay but make sure you ask for the adaptor plate for an RNN14 SR20DET AWD aswell,
an extra £8 on top of the £140 for the afpr.

They look 8) 8) 8)

Matt

G

gtirben

had it mapped a couple of weeks ago at perfect touch near me,after fitting it along with a pace front mount,magnecors and ngk iridiums,it made 310 at the flywheel at 1 bar,ran fine for a couple of days then started getting flat spots,took it back and they said it was the fse playing up,and that it wasnt up to the job,started doing it again yesterday,was told by a few of the others at the pod that there crap and other people had had greif with them,think the knock could be cams tho,which i suppose could be down to a dodgy oil pump or something

G

gtirben

fw people have said about the sards now,might have to invest in one,also if i do need a cam or two,do many people uprate them on r's? if so what ones? do they run like crap with lumpy cams? by the way im really s*!t with computers in case no one had guesed!

houghy_1

Like Ed and many others will probably say the FSE's dont like turbo'd cars for some reason.

Asfor cams youd be best doing a quick search and see what comes up.

Ive heard of various ones,Tomei 264,HKS etc...

I know how they use to run on my old car but ive not "cammed" my R yet.

Youd probably get a little lumpiness on idle,
less torque lower down but then as your turbo is coming on boost thats when they'll come into play and keep the power higher up the revs slightly.

Just a brief description without going into details.

Hope that helped fella.

Matt

stumo

you'd be better putting the money spent on cams towards other things, stock ones are pretty good

P

pulsarboby

think i said in another thread, dont waste your money on uprated cams, unless they are 272 or higher duration as they will make a very minimal difference.
you would be better to go for some standard cams and have adjustable vernier pulleys.
hks 264s and the like are waste of money!

i think if you go higher than 278s you will need stronger valve springs aswell.

G

gtirben

ok then thanks for your help every one, i'll let you no how it goes when we start pulling it apart to find the knock and i get rid of the fse,oh yeah how much are oil pumps roughly if it needs changing?