FRP Pannels

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
OK does anyone know the ins and outs of Fiber Reinforced Plastics...?

Basically i found a supplier who does GTiR:

Front Bumper
Rear Bumper
Tailgate
Bonnet

All made from Fiber Reinforced Plastics...

Any info into this would be great...

Rishi

Rishi

Well if they are some sort of plastic then not very much... Its not like there is a wealth of other options out there either...

I can ask about the weights for you though....

Rishi

CruiseGTi-R

Its simply plastic which is helped out strength-wise by adding fibre glass fibres. (usually glass fibre as its the cheapest, can use carbon but £££).

Not normally any lighter than plastic so front and rear bumpers prob not worth doing.

Plastic bonnet would be good but to save weight it all comes down to the design not the material.

A bonnet can be a single GFRP sheet but it'll flap and deform at speed. A bonnet needs very clever design to make it practically rigid whilst being light as poss regardless of being cf gfrp or fibreglass.

Poeple forget that cf isn't lighter than fibrglass, its just stronger in same applications. People rage on about getting a cf bonnet when a fg one can be made for fraction of the cost and if it breaks its totally repairable, where with cf you've ruined it.

GFRP can be repaired with gf so is practical. GFRP wings, doors, bonnet and tailgate would be great as long as the design thinking goes into it.

Rishi

CruiseGTi-R said:
Its simply plastic which is helped out strength-wise by adding fibre glass fibres. (usually glass fibre as its the cheapest, can use carbon but £££).

Not normally any lighter than plastic so front and rear bumpers prob not worth doing.

Plastic bonnet would be good but to save weight it all comes down to the design not the material.

A bonnet can be a single GFRP sheet but it'll flap and deform at speed. A bonnet needs very clever design to make it practically rigid whilst being light as poss regardless of being cf gfrp or fibreglass.

Poeple forget that cf isn't lighter than fibrglass, its just stronger in same applications. People rage on about getting a cf bonnet when a fg one can be made for fraction of the cost and if it breaks its totally repairable, where with cf you've ruined it.

GFRP can be repaired with gf so is practical. GFRP wings, doors, bonnet and tailgate would be great as long as the design thinking goes into it.

Well my bonnet is GF so i'm good there...

These pannels are are actually from Japan... Not a custom job... They have been around for a while...

I'll see if i can get any more info on design...

Rishi

cmng

how about nismo FRP ?
not sure they still make it or not
since i have the old nismo catalog mention

FRP bonet, bumper, fender, rear bumper as well rear bonet or spoiler if i not mistaken

JIMMYBACK

cmng said:
how about nismo FRP ?
not sure they still make it or not
since i have the old nismo catalog mention

FRP bonet, bumper, fender, rear bumper as well rear bonet or spoiler if i not mistaken
sounds good to me find out if you can8)

maz

would it be possible for arches to be done in this material aswell? could be a long term soloution to the freakin rust.