front, rear or 4 wheel drive

antiguan gti-r

big question here, what is the best set up guys , keeping the 4 wheel drive or transferring to a front or rear wheel drive on the gti-r, need some help as i here that if your gonna add more power its moreliekly you will be breaking the gear box

M

markwashington

What sort of power are you looking to make? the stock gearbox will take 400bhp and beyond depending on how you treat it. I can't see how converting the car to RWD or FWD will be cost effective. The money would be better spent getting up to a reliable 400bhp, then stripping the car's weight. That way it will see off almost anything on the roads.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
If you want RWD, the best option is to buy a Silvia; very similar engine, and it's already set-up for you.

turugtir

Every gearbox mated to a SR20 is known for being weak. FWD boxes are almost the same as the GTIR gearbox, and people in the USA running big power on Sentras and NX's break boxes like GTIR's.

Silvia box is only good for 400 hp, then is almost as likely to break as a GTIR gearbox. Most people running 400+hp just uses the RB25DET or VG30DETT gearbox.

In my opinion, is better to stay 4wd. If you want to change, just get another nissan.

I

iomegalinux

same as other, if you want a fwd either swap the engine into a light nx2000 and for rwd go with a S chassis.
i wouldn't think that a rwd pulsar would be great as it's too short wheelbase

but for the tranny, you could get on from a sentra se-r (90's) their tranny was the best ever made by nissan on fwd.

vpulsar

Personally I think the wheel base of the pulsar is to short to make a good rear wheel drive car, I agree with the other comments thought buy a car built for either fwd or rwd depending on what you prefer, I've bought a proper rear wheel drive car myself which should put the grin back on my face.

John

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
The old Z cars are a thing of beauty. There was an article in Total Nissan about a guy in Japan who builds monsters with modern technology, but in a way sympathetic to the original design. - I like that ethos.

antiguan gti-r

thanks for the advice guys, i was thinking that since the tranny is pushing 4 wheels with no problem why not try it on 2 wheels wont it get more power to the wheels ????? just a thought. most of the guys here broke thier trannys adding power, so dont want that to happen with mine, im adding a bigger turbo , going front mount , did forged pistons, uprated clutch and pressure plate racing bearings and adding more boost , hks electronic boost controller.

let me know what u guys think. also does anyone has a manual of adding a front mount without removing a/c or power steering (pics would be nice too)