front drive shaft help

P

petegtir

morning all

just spent 20 mins trying to search for the answer, i'm sure its here somwhere but i must be too crap to find it.

i've broken my gearbox. 4th and 5th dont work anymore and it rattles quite a bit. so i have got a working second hand box and want to change it over today and tomorrow.

i've never working on front wheel drive cars before (i know its 4wd) and i dont know how to get the drive shafts out of the gearbox. apart from that i dont think there is anything i dont know how to sort.

so how do i get the shafts out of the box??

thanks people

Pete.

O

Odin

you just give them a good old yank :wink: , there held in with spring clips on the end of the shaft's.

Well one side has the spring clip in the box and the other side will come out with the shaft, So don't go thinking you'ev lost one lol.

You can put a big screw driver or lever behind the the inner joint to help lever it out if you like, they can be a little tight sometimes.

oh and make sure you'ev drained the box lol :wink: .

rob

P

petegtir

thanks both!

i will remember to take the oil out first :lol:
sounds a lot easier than i was thinking. thank god for that.

ym plan is to just drop the box side of the engine and old it with a hoist.
undo the prop from the TF box, gear linkage, slave cylinder and then undo the box bolts.
should just pull off then right? with the TF box still on the Gbox.

oh and i'm doing a full fluid service while i'm at it and i cant seen to get the drain plug out of the rear diff.. any ideas?

thank you again

pete.

O

Odin

The dif drain plug is right at the back where it has 4 bolts holding it to the subframe i beleave :wink: .

Filler is about half way uo on the side i think.

rob