Front Diff

stu-gtir

Hi Guy's, when i removed my engine i drained the gear box and the transfer, does this empty the oil from the front Diff?

stu

O

Odin

stu-gtir said:
Hi Guy's, when i removed my engine i drained the gear box and the transfer, does this empty the oil from the front Diff?

stu

If you undid both drain plugs under the car then yes it is completely empty fella :thumbsup: .

Rob

CanadianR

you can see the fill plug on through the drivers side front wheel arch. There's a hole through the side. Look at the transfer case for a plug with a 3/8 or 1/2" drive in it.

BTW, how in the world did you crack your transfer case drain plug? Mine was dang tight. Still not off.

Hey Odin, we changed the transmission oil seperate from the front diff. Is there any contamination from the old oil from the diff to the new redline in the transmission?

And since the transmission is full of good oil, can I drain the transfer case and none of the redline from the transmission will come out?

O

Odin

Jeddeh said:
And since the transmission is full of good oil, can I drain the transfer case and none of the redline from the transmission will come out?

They are not linked together mate, You can drain/refill them separately with non contamination issues.

Rob

O

Odin

stu-gtir said:
So what is the plug for on top of the gear box just next to the rear stabiliser?

No idea mate, I've used it as a return for a gearbox oil cooler, Which is what it might of been for on the rally cars I suppose ;-) , (who knows lol).

You could use it for refilling if you had a way of knowing exactly how much oil you where putting in, Yuo can then just use the front filler to tell you when its full.

Rob