Front bumper pics.....

J

jasegould

As requested, a pic of my front bumper. Ive extended the brake vents and cut out the centre bars and filled the sides.....

Its not much different from standard, the idea being to keep it subtle and widen the front of the car out a bit :D
The holes a fitted with fine black mesh, it doesnt really show on this pic. Theres also a black GTIR boot badge in the grille, but that hasnt shown up either :roll:

J

jasegould

Thanx....did you see it at the PE rolling road day, someone there siad they liked it

K

KrissJ

VERY NICE, I really, really like that!!! Quality and very different! :D 8) :D 8)

A

Anonymous

Don't 'spose you feel like making another one do you? For the right number of beer tokens of course!

Dunc

K

KrissJ

I thought the same thing.

Does anyone know if there's anywhere thats good to pick up cheap second hand std GTIR bumpers? I've thought about making my own but would need 1 as a base but don't want to use mine 1- incase I mess it up and 2- so I can still draive the car whilst I'm doin it.

1-offs-ville, thats where its at! Well done :D

J

jasegould

Don't 'spose you feel like making another one do you?
Funny you should say that, I was thinking of knocking some up but TBH theres so much work involved that I havent got the time.....plus I'd prob want too many beer tokens!! :p

A

Ash

that looks very nice...good to see someone doing something unique.

How hard was it to extend the front brake ducts, and what material did you use?
I am going to do a similar thing with extending my brake ducts to fit some fog lights, and I haven't ever done anything like this before....
any advice would be great Jase.

A

Anonymous

If you decide to knock some up can you put me on the top of the list!

Cheers mate!
Dunc

J

jasegould

If you decide to knock some up can you put me on the top of the list!
Will do :wink: You still going to TOTB? Ive booked a travel inn for £25 for Sat night if you are interested...ooo-eeerrr...........that sounds a bit dodgy :oops:

How hard was it to extend the front brake ducts, and what material did you use?
I am going to do a similar thing with extending my brake ducts to fit some fog lights, and I haven't ever done anything like this before....
I used Isopon P40 fibreglass bridging filler (excellent stuff, really strong - just make sure all the surfaces you apply it to are roughed up with a sander/sandpaper) and aluminium mesh to fill the gaps and hold it all in place. Once I had the rough shape I used a U-Pol SMC bonding/plastic filler to get the exact shape then filled the pinholes etc with stopper. The biggest head ache was getting it smooth coz where I had sanded the plastic it went "furry" so I had to highbuild prime and flat it twice.
I had to chop away a large part of the bumper support to get the bumper to fit aswell......its not that hard to do, just loads of monotinous rubbing down :roll:

A

Anonymous

jasegould2002 said:
You still going to TOTB? Ive booked a travel inn for £25 for Sat night if you are interested...ooo-eeerrr...........that sounds a bit dodgy :oops:
Ooo! Hello sailor! :wink: I'm still going and think I will stay over night. Can you PM me the details.

Cheers,
Duncan

A

Ash

jasegould2002 said:
I used Isopon P40 fibreglass bridging filler (excellent stuff, really strong - just make sure all the surfaces you apply it to are roughed up with a sander/sandpaper) and aluminium mesh to fill the gaps and hold it all in place. Once I had the rough shape I used a U-Pol SMC bonding/plastic filler to get the exact shape then filled the pinholes etc with stopper. The biggest head ache was getting it smooth coz where I had sanded the plastic it went "furry" so I had to highbuild prime and flat it twice.
I had to chop away a large part of the bumper support to get the bumper to fit aswell......its not that hard to do, just loads of monotinous rubbing down :roll:
ok, I'm not sure that I understand most of that, but I will see what I can do. I'll try to source some of those materials and see what other infomation I can get hold of.
Thanks for the info.

daz

mine is similar jase but i have left the bottom bar in and took the rest out i also have the grill though with no badge in it i think it looks alot better nice to have summat different than everyone else :):)

F

flying postman

love the look of the bumper def looks different and a mod that doesnt go far from the original look would love to do something like that but dont like copying someone elses one modification :roll:

J

jasegould

but dont like copying someone elses one modification
Doesnt bother me 8) ...hell I copied the colourscheme from someone else!! Well not the pearl and rainbow flake :wink:

Theres very limited styling parts for the R anyway, and TBH I havent really changed much from the standard look.

J

jaigtir

i do like that, looks well smart jase. Looks alot meaner but subtle at the same time :wink:

A

Anonymous

Looks really good and not to far from the original to ruin it :)