Front bumper cut out dimensions?

G

GTI-R Kid

Anyone know the dimensions of the hole left in the GTI-R bumper when cut for an intercooler? I've been trying to source some mesh from car accessory shops, but everywhere I go the mesh is only about 12" in height which isn't really enough to cover the full hole with a little overlap on top and bottom (or am i wrong :?: ). I really don't want to have to put 2 sheets on as I think this would look fairly s**t. :x

I would measure my own bumper but I have the car stored a good distance away and don't think something like this is worth the €20 fuel for the round trip to find out ... especially when all the lovely people on here with cut-outs have their cars on the drive. :wink:

So anyone able to tell me the approx height necessary to fill the void left behind? Where are others sourcing their mesh as I've seen a good few cars in the members section with one-piece mesh on the front bumper?

Any help appreciated.

houghy_1

GTI-R Kid said:
So anyone able to tell me the approx height necessary to fill the void left behind? Where are others sourcing their mesh as I've seen a good few cars in the members section with one-piece mesh on the front bumper?

Any help appreciated.
Try B&Q lots of mesh there fella,thats where ive been before :wink:

And Andy will post the measurements for you 2nite with any luck :D
Hope that helps a little :wink:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
My cut out is approx 30" x 10" , so get it bigger to allow for bonding or however you're going to fix it in place.

c20ona

As previously mentioned, B&Q do ideal mesh. Looks the same as the mesh you see in mags etc, but it's a hundred times tougher and only costs about £7 for a sheet 2mtrs sq. That's whats on mine (painted it back though so basically becomes invisible if you want to show off your intercooler.

Regards

Kenny

Mr GTiR

Mark_GTiR said:
I heard Chans is meshed with disposable BBQ mesh from JAE :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LMFAO, it took me ages to stitch them all together, on the plus side my mesh was cheap and smells of sasuage and bacon :wink: :p

As promised and confirmed by Carl, mine is 30" wide by 9.5" tall.

Gray

I got some for my replica R from B&Q but it rusted after a few weeks
If you do get some mesh make sure you rust proof it and coat it in a few layers of paint

I might do my cut out this weekend ready for the front mount intercooler

Also a tip for fixing it in place - Body Filler works a treat!