Forge FMIC and Towing Eye

skiddusmarkus

Those who have a forge fmic will notice you cannot refit your tow eye in the original place as the samco pipes are now in the way.Now I've not needed to use it since I fitted this many years ago but as the car is now on coilovers its too low to use the thick steel tube that runs under the engine between the wings for strapping down to a RR etc.

I've had a good look at the eye and I reckon if I cut it in half along the U shaped part of the bend in the steel that gives it its 90 degree angle L shape I can bolt it on using 2 bolts and rotating it from horizontal to vertical as the 2 bolt holes on the remaining part of the eye are a good match for whats already on the chassis.

Has anyone else done this?How have others with the forge fmic got their towing eyes back on?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I cut the towing eye part of the bracket off and bolted the tiedown part of the bracket back on.

The only time I've had to be recovered I got him to tow it on backwards.

skiddusmarkus

Yeah thats my idea Karl.It won't be perfectly horizontal but it won't be far out.The front is too low to tow up a recovery truck anyway, in fact I am thinking of raising it up 20mm or so alround as there's no way the 4 point brace is going to survive everyday driving and the 3" downpipe I have to replace the mongoose is likely going to catch on bumps.

gtirx2