Fog lamp switch

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Amongst other things today I tried to wire in a standard Nissan fog lamp switch (as in Pic below) to the dash switches.

I can get the stitch to work the fog light no problem but on the switch face is a light, I assume this light is to come on when the switch is on to give you some indication in the cabin that the fog light is on. I can get the light to come on all the time or not at all, it makes no difference if the switch is on or off.

Has anyone else fitted one of these fog lamp switches ? if so did the wires look like the one below, if so how did you wire it up :?

Attachments

Last edited:

JIMMYBACK

i have fitted one steve but i dont have the car near me as its at the garage awaiting repairs.when im down that way ill get a piccy of the wiring ok:thumbsup: and ye si did fit it myslef so if you can cope with my wiring skills then its all good

Fusion Ed

The bulb will need its own live and earth, just as the main fog bulb does. I don't know the pin-out with out having one to look at but knowing this it would be easy.

stumo

from my poor memory you need to join two of the remaining three wires to act as the earth and power the bulbs via the two remaining wires. I'll let you know tomorrow when i work on the car (and i remember)

It's quite easy to work out if you have a multimeter

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
stumo said:
from my poor memory you need to join two of the remaining three wires to act as the earth and power the bulbs via the two remaining wires. I'll let you know tomorrow when i work on the car (and i remember)

It's quite easy to work out if you have a multimeter
Your a star mate :)

Please, please DO remember, meanwhile I'll get on with putting the rest of the car back together (after major surgery, removing the rust tumour in the floor) :?

boucherie

i think that you need to connect of of the wires which has a small spade into the illumination circuit so that when you power up the switch it comes on, by the sounds of it you have got a wire round the wrong way to get the all or nothing effect, il have a look for the wiring diagram i did for my switch and put it up here for you and anyone else that wires one of these up in the future.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
boucherie said:
i think that you need to connect of of the wires which has a small spade into the illumination circuit so that when you power up the switch it comes on, by the sounds of it you have got a wire round the wrong way to get the all or nothing effect, il have a look for the wiring diagram i did for my switch and put it up here for you and anyone else that wires one of these up in the future.
That would be great, cheers Ian

boucherie

right here goes.....

FRONT FOG LIGHT SWITCH

looking at the back of the switch you should have the following spade connectors starting from the top left:

Earth
Positive
Blank
Blank
Blank

On the block of four below the top line there should be 2 blanks on the right hand side. On the left hand side the bottom spade is for the Switch, and the remaining spade is an Earth.

REAR FOG LIGHT SWITCH

again starting from the top left hand corner

Blank
Earth
Blank
Illumination
Earth

On the block of four, again there should be 2 blanks on the right hand side. The bottom spade on the left is the POSITIVE and the one above it the SWITCH

Please note this differs slightly from the configuration for the front fog switches and i have not done the setup from the plug side as some people may not have a plug with the switches (like i did) but its not exactly difficult to work out which spade plugs into where!

Hope this makes some kind of sense!!

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
boucherie said:
right here goes.....

FRONT FOG LIGHT SWITCH

looking at the back of the switch you should have the following spade connectors starting from the top left:

Earth
Positive
Blank
Blank
Blank

On the block of four below the top line there should be 2 blanks on the right hand side. On the left hand side the bottom spade is for the Switch, and the remaining spade is an Earth.

REAR FOG LIGHT SWITCH

again starting from the top left hand corner

Blank
Earth
Blank
Illumination
Earth

On the block of four, again there should be 2 blanks on the right hand side. The bottom spade on the left is the POSITIVE and the one above it the SWITCH

Please note this differs slightly from the configuration for the front fog switches and i have not done the setup from the plug side as some people may not have a plug with the switches (like i did) but its not exactly difficult to work out which spade plugs into where!

Hope this makes some kind of sense!!
So did your switch block look like this

Attachments

boucherie

yeah that looks about right!! looks like i confused myself slightly when writing up the description, but its easy enough to work it out!