Fluttering GTI-R

B

BigVern

Only me again.....Another question ? My GTI-R Makes a loud fluttering noise when i change gear when it`s on boost, it sounds ace.Is it the wastegate ? Been told it is, not sure though. And what`s the best blow off valve for them ???? Thanx in advance:thumbsup:

gtir_pimp

that is a blow off valve,check under the bonnet and see what one you got, not sure which is the best

B

boozyboo

or its the blow off valve not working, and your hearing the turbo flutter. it should go tisssss ssssssshhhhhhhh or jus go bang like mine:doh:

have you had a turbo befor?

its not the wastegate (why does everyone think that!)

its ur compressor blades stalling against the boost pressure once you close the throttle.

B

BigVern

EssexAaron said:
its not the wastegate (why does everyone think that!)

its ur compressor blades stalling against the boost pressure once you close the throttle.
Thanx for the reply, Is that a bad thing ? Does it need rectifying ? If so what`ll be causing it ?

B

BigVern

gtir_pimp said:
that is a blow off valve,check under the bonnet and see what one you got, not sure which is the best
Thanx for your reply.

B

BigVern

boozyboo said:
or its the blow off valve not working, and your hearing the turbo flutter. it should go tisssss ssssssshhhhhhhh or jus go bang like mine:doh:

have you had a turbo befor?
lol...don`t want mine to go bang, thanx for the reply. will check.

antgtir

Its only like Water Hammer in pipes except your (filter end) pipe is not sealed completely hence the fluttering sound is able to be heard.

Its similar to if you have a small fan in your hand blowing at you, you then blow back at it and you hear a buzzing or very fast fluttering noise, i.e. the blow back from you.

The main reason people put atmospheric BOV's on their car is to release the pressure (during basically the hammer effect) without hitting the blades of the turbo again therefore the turbo spools quicker as its still spinning faster than it would do without. Saying this though, there are a number of arguments that substantiate not having an atmospheric BOV and just sticking with the OE design Recirc valve.

Ant.