Fitting Lowering Springs

GTI-R Nath

I started Fitting lowering springs today that were meant to lower the car 35mm, so far i have fitted the 2 rear springs. but the car isn't any lower, im now thinking i might have put the front springs on the rear by mistake :doh:

i put the smaller springs on the rear, and the ones 1 have left for the front are allot taller... have i done it right or will i be redoing it tomorrow :roll:

GTI-R Nath

springs are 2nd hand so don't think they will need to settle, pretty sure the big springs go on the rear after looking at some pics, so looks like i will have to redo everything tomorrow lol

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
The springs always need to settle a little - have you never noticed how it sits funny when it's been up in the air for a while.

I would have guessed the larger springs go at the front because that's where all the weight is, but I don't actually know. - If the back struts are longer then maybe they go the other way and it's all taken into account by differential spring rates.

GTI-R Nath

yeah i thought the bigger springs would of went on the front too, but someone on the other site said i had them on the wrong way when i asked, and i found this picture of GTI-R shocks with lowering springs and the big springs are also on the rear shocks

GTI-R Nath

after looking closer at the springs iv noticed that the big ones say Avo Front, and the smaller ones say Avo Rear... but they seem to fit better the opposite way round, im really confused now

GTI-R Nath

yeah if i put the small springs that say rear on them, on the back there really loose unless the cars got wight on it, the bigger springs that say front on them are about the same size as the standard rear springs so they fit snug on the back or front, and the springs that say rear on them are smaller than the standard front springs but are still need compressed to go on front shocks so they fit ok.. but surely avo wouldn't sell spring with front and rear printed on the wrong springs, and i don't really fancy taking the car out for a test drive if the springs are on the wrong way round

GTI-R Nath

got them all on now and there defiantly the right way round lol e-mailed the guy i got them off to make sure, the big springs go at the front, and the smaller springs go at the back. the standard front springs just look smaller when there compressed on the shock, but when there uncompressed the front springs are allot bigger than the rears.

GTI-R Nath

yeah you were right, cars looking good now, took it out last night for a test drive, and it was pulling to the left slightly and i was getting a knock from the front NS suspension, when i went full lock to the right. thinking the strut rod bolt might need tightened more