Fitting a strut brace

M

MORRISMINOR GTI-R

Please can somebody tell me the correct way to fi a front strut brace.

am i right in saying the car should be in the air on a 2 post ramp, then the brace is fitted, then the nut is tightened up, then the car is lowered down again :?: :?:

Cheers

C

caz

no :shock: Keep the car on flat, level ground. Fittin a front brace is a piece of pish

M

MORRISMINOR GTI-R

8) do u still have to tighten up the nut in the middle?

O

Odin

If you lift the car up when you undo the nuts your be in for
a nasty shock :roll: :roll: , It's a five min job and just tighten
the middle bolt up till it's tight and putting a little presure on
the strut tops :wink:

S

SunnyGTi2.0

vpulsar said:
If you lift the car up when you undo the nuts your be in for
a nasty shock :roll: :roll: , It's a five min job and just tighten
the middle bolt up till it's tight and putting a little presure on
the strut tops :wink:
what happens if he lifts it ut, mounts the strut brace and then lets the car down again?

M

MORRISMINOR GTI-R

i'll probably do as vpulsar says allthough i could still lift the car afterwards and then tighten the centre nut up with the car in the air???

C

caz

what happens if he lifts it ut, mounts the strut brace and then lets the car down again?
allthough i could still lift the car afterwards and then tighten the centre nut up with the car in the air???
:? :roll:

U lift the bonnet, undo the three nuts with a 10 mm. Put brace on, put nuts back on. Tighten. Its takes less than 5 mins :wink:

Why on earth U want to lift the car in the air is anyones business :roll:

M

MORRISMINOR GTI-R

i think the reason they lift the car up is to take all the load off it.

dont really know if it makes any difference?

skiddusmarkus

It makes loads of difference.Your wheels will have postive camber when in the air for one.You don't want them holding in place like that.
Do it on level ground,with all 4 wheels on the floor.Undo the 3 bolts,slot the brace over the top and nip the bolt in the middle up.Don't overtighten(either way)or you'll be adding +/- camber and your tyres woill wear out very quickly and there'll be some interesting handling effects.

skiddusmarkus

It makes loads of difference.Your wheels will have postive camber when in the air for one and your suspension will fall out.You don't want them holding in place like that.
Do it on level ground,with all 4 wheels on the floor.Undo the 3 bolts,slot the brace over the top and nip the bolt in the middle up.Don't overtighten(either way)or you'll be adding +/- camber and your tyres will wear out very quickly and there'll be some interesting handling effects.