fitting a short/relocation induction run??

johnsy

Iv had a quick sceg and could not find the info im after ,:oops:

recently bought a short/relocation induction pipe off olliecast, apart fom needing a reducer for the standard maf to the silicone pipe im a little bemused as what to do with the pipes that come off the standard induction pipe run as there is no connection into the silicone run iv bought,

one small pipe has already got a bung in it , think this might have summit to do with the avcr,

any one got the time to give me a quick walk through of how to go about fitting this upgrade :thumbsup:

many thanks chaps

darkyGTI-R

I just run a pipe off the rocker to a catch tank you know the big one on the right that the oem pipe was connected to,then a custom stainless steel pipe with rubber straight pipes to the turbo and no pipes are connected to that at all mate just the afm connected by another rubber straight that's it job done no issues at all!
All the original hosing I threw as i didn't need it!

johnsy

so is it a rocker breather pipe , that big padded pipe that comes off the oe induction run

darkyGTI-R

Yes mate that's the one you can do away with all that big hose you know the one that's on the afm to turbo just use the short/relocation pipe that you got from ollie. On the rocker cover you can just put a breather filter on there as it will just vent to air then or like most people do fit a catch tank then run a pipe to it

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Yes - by default there are three or so hoses that go back to that induction hose:
The recirc from the original blow-off valve.
Bleed back from the factory boost solenoid
Crank case breather.

If you don't have a recirculating BOV you don't need a hose for it (it's probably already blocked).
You don't need to bleed the boost back into the inlet (in fact that worked worse for me), so that's almost certainly blocked.
That leaves the crank case breather, and as darky says you'll have to put a catch can (or better yet, a separator) in to replace it.

darkyGTI-R

yes mate that's the one you can do away with all that piping to the afm and turbo put the one on that you got from ollie you can either put a breather filter on where that big black pipe came off rocker or run a big pipe off it to a catch tank

johnsy

Catch can eh! could you explain a little more , do i need one or can i just put a filter on the end , i still have the tmic

so if i remove the old pipe ,replace it bung the maf on the end hey presto! apart from the crank case breather issue,

gtirjoey

if you want to go cheap just run the pipe into an empty bottle, its worked for me for a while now.
obviously a catch can would do a better job

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'm pretty sure the DD Autosports car (read Craige101's) used an empty Guinness can. - I'm not a fan of spending big money on what is, as it sounds, just a can to catch the oil in.

Ok - the Guinness can isn't in the shot, but you can see where it was sitting because that's where the hose goes.

I'm pretty sure cambellju has an empty sugar tin in his with the hoses going into the top.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I do but I fancy a change so I might go for a guiness can to colour co-ordinate with the rocker cover, or maybe fosters to go with the Samco's. So many beer can options to choose from :lol::lol:

johnsy

nice one , can of monster or red bull then,

cant imagine thered be much oil come though,

can you enlighten me why the crank case breather is directed into the oe induction run in the first place??

does the excess just get burnt off in the combustion process??

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I do but I fancy a change so I might go for a guiness can to colour co-ordinate with the rocker cover, or maybe fosters to go with the Samco's. So many beer can options to choose from :lol::lol:
It's funny you should say that... I was thinking of moving to a coffee tin in mine; simply because I used to own a business that sold coffee (and made me a bankrupt in Australia). - I figure, with a couple of cheap fittings and some steel wool, I could make my own oil-mist seperator for a fraction of the cost of the Forge one.
Maybe Old Speckled Hen is the way to go forward for me instead...

The crank case breather goes to the inlet pipe for emissions, pure and simple. - The key is that the OEM setup has that black oil/mist separator on the front of the engine; it should scavenge most of the oil and return it to the sum, so it's only vapour (read fumes) that get pulled into the inlet (and through into engine to be burnt-off). I've never been entirely sure about this, but I thought the original design was that when the PCV opens it pulls the vapour straight into the inlet bodies (and into the cylinders), and the air is replaced by drawing through from the inlet pipe... except the oil scavenger is on that side of the system meaning that Nissan expect oily mist to be coming out of that hose. - Either way, it has to go somewhere to prevent the rocker cover gasket blowing-out.

johnsy

so after doing a bit more reading, am i right in saying i can just remove the oe pipe ,fit my new induction pipe, and put a fancy colour silicone hose from the right hand side of the rocker to a can of pepsi ,

im i right thinking the can has to placed lower than the rocker?

is there a way of returning the oil back to sump and do away with a can all together?

can sumone tell me the best way please,

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
It doesn't need to be below the rocker, and if you don't take the restrictor out of the line the original separator (black box on the front of the engine above the turbo) will continue to return oil to the sump for you.
The next step is to remove that seperator and fit something like the Forge one (~£185) which has a drain on the bottom for the sump, and a breather hose for the vapour.

If you don't mind that it might dribble, you can just put one of those little mesh air filters on the end of the hose. - Cheap and simple!

CanadianR

johnsy, have you got your new pipe made up? If so can you post a picture of it before you install it and another one of it installed? thanks!