Fitting a FM oil cooler. How much extra oil??

johnsy

exactly how much oil extra oil do i add to my engine after fitting a front mount oil cooler?

Should i run the car up to temp first so the termostat is open before adding oil?

also any tips on fitting the thermostat in the filters oe postion i here its quite tight for space?

thanks chaps

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
From what I can remember its about an extra 1L of oil.. Replace the filters and add the normal 3.4L.. When the thermostat opens, add about 1L more oil.. Once its all cooled down you should be topped up on the dip stick with the extra oil sitting in the pipes and cooler..

johnsy

i removed the wheellast time i changed the filter, just iv heard its tight for space once the thermostat ison,

it was more how much oil to put inand when? hot or cold

Braveheart

Make sure your connection going to the sandwich plate are tight as there's little to no room to tighten them once the plates fitted.
I relocated the oil filter by blanking the sandwich plate and fitting a mocal remote filter head. Did not use thermostatic plate though as I do not think it would work in this configuration.

johnsy

good man, did you fix the cooler straight to the bar, thats wot i had in mind, did you tap it or nut and bolt?

Braveheart

good man, did you fix the cooler straight to the bar, thats wot i had in mind, did you tap it or nut and bolt?
I drilled and screwed it onto the front bar.... was the easiest option as there is no access for nut and bolt given the bar construction and I was not sure it was thick enough to tap and hold a fine threaded bolt.
Shout if you have any queries... ;-)

johnsy

I drilled and screwed it onto the front bar.... was the easiest option as there is no access for nut and bolt given the bar construction and I was not sure it was thick enough to tap and hold a fine threaded bolt.
Shout if you have any queries... ;-)

that was my plan , only iv got some rubber to put between the bar oil cooler where the fixings go

Braveheart

Jubilee clips on an oil cooler pipe :shock:
I'm too far away from civilization and fabricators to nip out and get formed ends.... I need to make headway and get this work done. After a shakedown and I'm happy all is working ok and I'm not under a time restraint I may change them for crimped ends.
They are a very tight fit onto the hose. You can't actually get the adaptor out of the pipe (no jubilee fitted) without cutting the pipe as I discovered when I pushed on the wrong adaptor so fingers crossed..:eek:hwell: