fitting a 'chip'

boucherie

just wondering if anyone on here has ever fitted a performance chip to their standard ECU by themselves, ive found a chip that raises the rev limit to 8K, increases boost to 1.3bar and adjusts fuelling accordingly, so it got me thinking should i buy a spare ECU, and install the new chip myself or buy the chip and get a professional to fine tune the settings on a RR. At the minute i dont really want to go for a unit such as the emanage and all the others (il probably make the switch when i fit the new turbo and manifold next year), but i do need to get the fuelling etc setup right so i know that im running a reliable 1.2bar

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
I wouldn't bother with that chip... I hate the whole 'CHIP' thing...

Apart from needing other upgrades such as cooling, fuel pump, plugs etc, you have to remember that every car is different... Whose to say that the fuel map developed on the chip manufactures demo car is right for yours...

Just a thought for you... This is why people go down the route of piggyback or replacement management systems..

Rishi

boucherie

cheers for that rishi. on that basis il leave the chip alone, and get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator fitted and then take it to my nearest rolling road centre that knows about the SR20DET engine. roughly how much does a session and tune up on the rollers cost :?:

Rishi

You only need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator if you need to run the fuel pressure higher than the usual 3bar

With regards to most tunned cars the std fuel pressure regulator is fine...

3bar pressure with the Walbro 255L, correct injectors and management will sufice...

Don't do what a lot of people did in the old days and just increase the fuel pressure to increase fueling and running more boost because all that will leave you with is a blown engine...

Pay the £100 for a piggyback fuel controller and you can then use a Turbo XS manual boost device... That with a Walbro @ £70 and a mapping session will see you to decent gains... Some colder plugs too...

Thats the cheapest yet safe way to do it...

Bare in mind, cooling, suspension, brakes, clutch etc too... :wink:

Most will charge a flat fee for mapping the likes of an ECU or Piggyback controller... Rolling Road tuning averages at about £70/h...

Regards,

Rishi

boucherie

well ive currently got an apexi AVCR, uprated organic clutch, fmic, colder plugs, shot peened gearbox, lowered suspension and various whiteline bits fitted, 4pot willwoods.
can you recommend anyone who sells the piggyback fuel computer or shall i do an ebay search.

sorry for what may appear to be stupid questions but id rather ask a stupid question and get it all done correctly rather than blow the engine because i set it up wrong

Fire & skill

Vintage member
so once you have fitted the walbro - do you then need to get the fuel pressure regulator set up on a RR to get the full use of it? and an safc or so to adjust the fuelling

rayman75

boucherie:- which RR are you thinking of, i think the nearest for us is Engine advantages in whitham, or i think theres one in norwich.

boucherie

rayman - didnt you say that you went to the one in norwich as he knows a bit about the sr20 engine? I think the one in witham is quite good as well, so il make up my mind soon as my mates gt4 will need a RR session soon as well so we'll prob all go down in one go

boucherie

will the apexi SAFCII be a suitable choice for the piggyback computer, and im going to be running some 540cc gt4 injectors so will the apexi still support this increase over the standard injector size :?:

rayman75

yes mate the apexi safcII will do upto 550cc (i think) it will also be capable of handling a Z32 maf.

the one in norwich is APT tuining gary really knows his stuff does alot of 200sx's so fairly up on the sr20det. only thing is he hasnt got a rr but he does a road tune with a wideband lambda, thats how he set up my safcII.

but i do believe there is another 4wd RR in norwich, where i dont know.

Rishi

Fire & skill said:
so once you have fitted the walbro - do you then need to get the fuel pressure regulator set up on a RR to get the full use of it? and an safc or so to adjust the fuelling
A FPR does exactly what it says... Regulates fuel pressure...

The AFC is used to adjust the fueling... If the injectors are maxing out then you can increase the Fuel Pressure to give you something more to play with...

The APEXi S-AFC II would be fine for what you are looking for... The emanage opens up more features for the same money...

The APEXi will support the Z32 MAF and 700cc Injecotrs... eManage will do the same and possibly more.... It can also control timing...

Have a look on whats been writen in the past as they have been compared on many occasions...

Rishi