Fitted Koyo 50mm Alloy rad.

Braveheart

Removed my A/C gubbins yesterday and fitted a Koyo 50mm Alloy radiator. All went smoothly and I'm pleased with the fit. I can only fit one OE fan assembly howerve on the near side, the second fan does not clear the turbo.
I ran the car, the single fan kicks in and only runs for a short period which is good.
Do you think I can get away with just the one fan or should I fit a slim line fan?

O

Odin

Braveheart said:
Do you think I can get away with just the one fan or should I fit a slim line fan?
First off please post in the rite section in future :doh: .

Second the rad is actually 53mm ;-) .

And yes one fan will be fine, I ran mine with the one fan for over 2 years including track day use, My fan never came on full stop only if I got stuck in a real big jam which was only the once lol.

This time I'm going to front mount my fan or fit a small one either side on apposing ends of the rad.

Rob

Braveheart

Thanks for moving that to the correct section Rob....:oops:
and thanks for the feedback. I'll consider it a done job then and will get a chance to check out it's performance at Knockhill next Sunday.
There's a cold front on its way with a chance of snow on Friday.... :shock: so overheating may not be a big concern. I'm actually hoping it's going to be wet to see how the R888's perform under cold wet conditions.

Braveheart

Odin said:
This time I'm going to front mount my fan or fit a small one either side on apposing ends of the rad.
Rob
Hmmm... There's buckets of room on the front side of the rad now that I've removed the A/C rad. Fitting a fan on the front opposing side of the rad...... would that not vastly restrict the through air delivery?

O

Odin

JESUS said:
would that not vastly restrict the through air delivery?

I thought that as well, But when you think about the 2 fans stuck behind the rad they still have the same area for the air to have to pass through, So I wouldn't of thought it would be that much of a problem.

You will need to convert the fan to blowing rather than sucking action :shock: :lol: :lol: .

Rob

Braveheart

Odin said:
I thought that as well, But when you think about the 2 fans stuck behind the rad they still have the same area for the air to have to pass through, So I wouldn't of thought it would be that much of a problem.

You will need to convert the fan to blowing rather than sucking action :shock: :lol: :lol: .

Rob
I've had another look myself and your right, there's still plenty of gaps through the fan blades and housing. And with the A/C rad removed, it should get plenty of fresh air.
I'm going to have a play about now while the front bumper's still off.

"Jesus lives through me" BTW... I'm atheism....;-)

Last edited:
O

Odin

Braveheart said:
"Jesus lives through me" BTW... I'm atheism....;-)

Stop fighting it mate :-D , You are the second coming of the son of god :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob

Animaldaz

Braveheart said:
. I'm actually hoping it's going to be wet to see how the R888's perform under cold wet conditions.
Arent they essentially road legal slicks? In which case you'll be all over the place.

J

jpward

Odin said:

Rob
Your forgeting about air flowing in straight lines and post fan turblance the should be more air flow through a rad with the fan beeing a rear mount puller, as the other method has a natural pressure wave on the leading edge and then fitting a front mount fan would block some of the natural path but running a 53koyo could not see any over heating probs!

Rob what way if you fit the two fans are you going to mount the Charger Rad in the FMIC space as a pusher?

Braveheart

Animaldaz said:
Arent they essentially road legal slicks? In which case you'll be all over the place.
This should be a completely different topic but anyway, from this post last march:
http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45610&page=2&highlight=r888

"
I popped my new buddyclub SF wheels / Toyo 205/50-15 on a week ago (scrubbed in) for a track day at Knockhill today but at 0800hrs there was wet snow outside, checked www and the track day was cancelled due to snow. Anyway, somewhat disappointed, I decided to take me mother some flowers instead :roll: .

"With consideration for other road users of course" :thumbsup:
The R888's were amazing.... 100mls round trip, with a mix of C, B and A roads (wet to very wet) I thought the car would be loose so I teased it through the bends waiting for it to step out. I ended up going through bends at speeds I would consider for the dry. Eventually, I got the odd drift but no bad surprises. These tyres, dispite the visable amount of tread really shifted the water and found grip very well. Looking through the rear view on the straights, there was a thick mist of spray and clear tracks through to the ashfelt. So, I rate these tyres highly, I was really surprised how well they performed in the wet but maybe they are a bit OTT for road use. I recon you may only get about 4 -5k miles from road use. It's just a pity Knockhill TD was cancelled. I'll try to keep them good for the next one mid April. :cool:"

Braveheart

Back to the subject of radiators, progress was slow tonight as Top Gear and Long Way Down were on... anyway, the OE fan will fit on the front side of the rad, not tonight though as it will need a bit of time to mount it properly (not much) and I want to get this back together in readyness for Knockhill. You only need to reverse the power feed to have it blow...;-)
I'm very impressed with the alloy rad though... may have to stick a piece of board in front next Sunday to stop it running too cold....:shock: ;-)