finger power

CruiseGTi-R

I'm about to change my power steering pump.

Before I do this as a check of ‘pump power’ are you able to turn the steering wheel when stationary with one finger? [And that’s one finger held out straight, not clawed around the steering wheel pulling it round :lol: ].

In mine, its impossible to do this without colossal effort and significant finger-weight-training.

(very stupid question but up till now I’ve no other way of telling).

CruiseGTi-R

try it and let me know.

Try it one and all !

(watch a couple of vids of sam (samellio 1) going sideways, I couldn't wind-off/wind-on lock that fast with my steering weight).

A

Adamski

There's no way I'll ever be able to do this in mine :evil: it's way too heavy :cry:

zia

have you checked for leak's. renewed the oil, and bled it? normal gtir powersteering are quite weighty, non i ve seen are finger turnable.

zia

OZ-Racing

CruiseGTi-R said:
(watch a couple of vids of sam (samellio 1) going sideways, I couldn't wind-off/wind-on lock that fast with my steering weight).
Static friction is greater than dynamic friction, so when you see samellio giving it some sideways action and plenty of loud pedal, the resistance on the steering is very low because the tyres are breaking traction with the surface.

Imagine the different resistance to steering you will get in the following circumstances:

Car stationary on tarmac (hard to turn)
Car stationary on grass (easy to turn)
Car stationary on ice (very easy to turn)
Car on garage ramp (piece of piss to turn)

You get similar variances in steering resistance when driving very hard and sideways.

Hope this helps a little :wink: