fibreglass and carbon fibre doors anyone?(prices added)

A

antilag

well been talking to someone for a while now and got a price to make sum light weight fibre glass doors they wont b cheap as a good mould costs money and the doors will b expensive as i cant imagine selling many if anyone is seriously interested let me no

rite here are sum close estimates i no sum will respond with bollox remarks but im probably gonna do my whole car in carbon fibre but first to do will b the doors then wings bonnet bumpers and boot ect.

doors in glassfibre 350 quid each door
doors in carbon fibre 450 quid each (black,red,or blue carbon fibre)

i think these prices are quite resonable really considering the labour costs ect let me no if your interested and like i say i'll probably do every panel on the car

ive weighed a fully loaded door and they are 31kg each the new doors in carbon fibre would b around 5kg so thats a saving of 26kg x2 = 52kg just on a set of doors
remember all the weight saving is gonna relieve stress from your engine gearbox breaks suspension clutch ect plus the panels dnt need touching or replacing like other parts eg. turbo's and engine internals

A

Ash

Are you sure this is a good idea?
what happens if you get T-boned? ....by a cyclist, at the least!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I'd prefer kevlar for doors, it's lighter and much stronger.
If I see that car coming to T bone me, I'll hit the loud pedal (If I get a chance :shock: )

M

Mulisha

I thought about carbon fiber everything body panel wise. Check into it. I'm sure people will be interested. I am
not worried about getting T-boned. At least I will be having fun when I get hit! Besides, full coverage will be one hell of a check

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Kevlar is supposed to be bullit proof :D , I don't know about carbon fibre, although if you look at c/f the wrong way it can break. :shock:

S

Sirnixalot

a rollcage would be a requirment

you should put at least a chromemoly X in the doors...sure its a little extra weight but better that than being killed.

A

antilag

yeh well if i done the doors there would b other panels to follow so id have to get a roll cage really :cry:

A

antilag

yeh kevlar is available too mate id guess it to cost in between the two prices
a mix of kevlar and carbon is available two as carbo is brital and kevlar is flexable makes a good combination aparntly

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
antilag said:
ive weighed a fully loaded door and they are 31kg each the new doors in carbon fibre would b around 5kg so thats a saving of 26kg x2 = 52kg just on a set of doors
Is that the bare carbon door or also fully loaded (glass/electrics etc)

When are you looking at getting these done? I'd be in for a pair, but don't want to commit myself until I know I ain't going to be doing another :oops: job on my car first.

A

antilag

well im estimating that the carbon door will weight around 3 to 4 kg max bare from wat ive seen and it depends wat u want to put back in really

S

srbpower

We can allready source these if it helps. But they are not cheap. Plus they weight in at 6 -7.0kg not 4-5. Is that 450 per door? that seams well cheap for a something as complex as a door :shock: Is it pre-preg or wetlaid carbon? We are doing slam panels in carbon and they have work out to be just under a quater of that price. Where have you got those prices from if you don't mind me asking :)

Si :)

S

srbpower

Just got an old quote out, and that is well cheap. We were quote around then 850-900 in Japan for a pillarless carbon door... and thats each and plus shipping :shock:

Si :)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Pillarless? it is not a gtir door or is it modded to move the glass onto the door seal? Not sure it would look right tho :?