fiberglass related help

M

mynheers_a_pint

evening all

Had a bit of an accident today. Well an accident in the way that i didn't mean to hit a cat. Unfortunately the cat was very dead after the coming together of bumper and wheel. however, my Turini bumper didn't come off lightly either. It has a few large cracks and a chip out of it that i am worried will be very permanent.

So my question is, how repairable is the fiberglass and once repaired, will it last and and remain looking good if the gel coat is cracked?

sadsy

yea bud it will be fine, depending on how bad it is, just fibre glass the back up with matting and resin, then groove the gelcoated side where the cracks are and fill over the top with filler, rub down and there you go

1ad1

The best way to repair a crack/split in plastic, is to melt some fine aluminum mesh into it both sides if poss with a soldering iron.
Will make a stronger repair than fiberglass.
you can get the mesh in halfords.

M

mynheers_a_pint

thanks chaps. I spoke to the bodyshop earlier and they're happy to sort it i was just worried that 2 weeks after fitting it, my lovely new bumper was ruined and having heard certain stories about fiberglass i was even more worried.

I guess we'll see what happens..!

Thanks again.