Faulty crank angle sensor - how does it affect the engine.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I seem to be throwing up an 11 on the fault code check every so often, but I haven't really noticed any problems myself. What does the CAS tend to do when it's faulty?
Are these available if need be as I only seem to find the s13/14/15 ones on google which aren't the same as ours.

GTI-R Nath

when i was getting fault code 11 the car would drive like normal for about 30 minutes, then it would go into limp mode , after i changed the crank angle sensor the problem went away. When i changed mine i just got a replacement distributor, because i got told the sensor was built in to the distributor

vss irvine

yeah you have to change the dizzy, as its not really a serviceable part. new distributor from nissan is over £500!!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
When you say limp mode do you mean safe mode where it limits you to about 2500rpm and runs on a preset map, or the other sometimes confused with mode where the det sensor can cut boost and retard the ignition. Either way I haven't noticed that happening yet.

GTI-R Nath

When you say limp mode do you mean safe mode where it limits you to about 2500rpm and runs on a preset map, or the other sometimes confused with mode where the det sensor can cut boost and retard the ignition. Either way I haven't noticed that happening yet.
yeah would of been safe mode wasn't sure what it was called, when it happened the car would hardly accelerate atoll.

danr

limp mode it will be, fixed map and maf, red led on in ecu box itself with engine running

Last edited:

GTI-R Nath

there was no light on the dash for me, and i didn't notice a light on ECU, Because i didn't no there was a light

danr

ill try find the web page with the info about the ECCS system ..
When you turn on car (IGN/ACC/ON whatever it is) the light in ECU comes on, when car is started and running it goes off unless ECU is faulty or CAS has failed.