Fault code 21

Well i got my car back from wallace performance the other day, delighted car starts and runs perfectly. i got it booked for the mot tomorow and thought i would check the car over, went to start it and it will turn over but not offer any.

ecu fault check says 21 Ignition signal circuit

what sort of things will i need to check, my brother has been out the last hour trying to get it to start (hes a mechanic) but hes completely goosed.

any help would be much appreciated however i expect i wont be at the mot centre tomorow :(

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Do you get code 11 as well (in which case the ignition issue is related to the CAS)?

I take it the starter is turning it over, and it's just not firing (so it's definitely not something as simple as a flat battery)?

nope just code 21.

we rechardged the battery, still same issue and its a new starter, distributor and ignition module has also been replaced.

the coil park was jumping ? my brother said (need to excuse my ignorance) but it would spark on the outside. he put a bit tape round it to quickly solve the issue so it no longer does that but still not starting.

cleaned the sparkplugs up, checked all of them are firing fine.
its geting fuel fine and the plugs are sparking but its just no where near going.
Hes really confused why it wont start as he says its sparking and getting fuel.

i dont know if it would be likely thatseeing as i just had a whole wiring loom installed into the car as the last one was butcherd, could something be loose? its just weird it started perfectly fine last night and tried today and its just the complete opposite.

He has asked me to find out what pins on the ecu are where the wires run to the coil pack? so he can check that they are connected ok?

Last edited:

danr

are the fuel rail pipes connected right way round? i know people have swapped pipes round by mistake, so looks like fuelling but is going wrong way round system :_S

here similar

and here

Last edited:
I'll have my bro or dad check tomorow but the car was just mapped by wallace and so I'm assuming they are right way
round.

as I'll say I'll check that one tomorow :)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Try a new coil pack it sounds like yours is knackered.

Has it flooded in the mean time?

yeah the engine flooded twice so we took the plugs out again to clean them up, that's why I'm assuming the pipes
suggested earlier aren't an issue really but I'll still double check.

Well managed to get it started today after a phonecall to wallace performance, turns out they had the same issue but it resolved itself, its the injector resistor pack, so i will order a new one.

Car passed the mot with an advisory on front left ball join and top mount.

:) now just tax to go :D